Clipping import and track folder irregularities

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Clipping import and track folder irregularities

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I created a track Folder and selected the folder (collapsed in this case) and copied it to a clippings window. When I drag the clipping into a project, the folder appears as do the tracks, but the tracks are not actually in the folder and have to be moved there.

It would seem you should be able to do this, or at least plop the clipping tracks into an existing folder, but you can't and you also can't move them en masse. The only work around is to import the clipping and select the tracks and create the folder from there.

Just saying... (and have said to MOTU TechLinks as well...)

Carry on... :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Re: Clipping import and track folder irregularities

Post by FMiguelez »

+1.

I complained about this a while ago, when MOTU finally implemented including folders in the clippings.

The same happens when you drag a chunk to a sequence from the Chunks window, unfortunately...

Like you said, all the tracks and folders come in the clipping. The problem is that all the tracks come outside of their folders, defeating the purpose of the operation.

I hope MOTU fixes this one in their up-coming revision.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

There's a revision ahead? Who knew? :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Track folders aren't real containers, if I remember correctly. In order for them to work, the commands must be issued to that particular chunk you're working in for it to organize them as "masters of groups." My guess is that MOTU used an existing structure — track groups — to create the illusion of folders. It's not a hierarchical set of containers. They may also have used invisible tracks to hide them in Quickscribe. If I'm right, that might explain why the group has no meaning when it is put into clippings. The meaning has to be re-established when importing to a project.

At least, that's my guess.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Going off topic on my own thread (just so no one feels left out...) I also noticed today that the Notation Window will not "park" in the CW by using CTL-1 key combo. I so hope MOTU has seen fit to improve that poor little NW in DP 9.... So useful and so miserably neglected. :cry:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote:Track folders aren't real containers, if I remember correctly. In order for them to work, the commands must be issued to that particular chunk you're working in for it to organize them as "masters of groups." My guess is that MOTU used an existing structure — track groups — to create the illusion of folders.
I suppose the same happens with soundbite folders. One would expect to see the folders reflected in the Finder or some other physical form, but it's not the case either. They seem to be "ethereal" only.

Do you guys actually use that feature at all?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I've been dreaming of this fix. And add a complete Fader, Mute/Solo/Select/Inserts/Sends while you're at it.

That would get rid of quite a few Aux busses...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dwetmaster wrote:I've been dreaming of this fix. And add a complete Fader, Mute/Solo/Select/Inserts/Sends while you're at it.

That would get rid of quite a few Aux busses...
Oh, that's a great idea!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Going off topic on my own thread (just so no one feels left out...) I also noticed today that the Notation Window will not "park" in the CW by using CTL-1 key combo. I so hope MOTU has seen fit to improve that poor little NW in DP 9.... So useful and so miserably neglected. :cry:
Agree. It could be a lot better if it could sit in a row below or above the MIDI editors, especially if there was a simple way to link the zoom level of the two CW cells. I've tried using screen sets to improve the situation, but it's not really working well.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Oh yeah - ZOOM levels in the notation window would be stellar! And maybe some kind of "forgiving" quantizing settings so things would at least look like they were written by an actual human being?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS