Graphic editing window jumps back in time

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Graphic editing window jumps back in time

Post by philbrown »

I've never seen this before DP8 and it seems to be happening more and more. I do a lot of linear editing of seminars involving hour-long sound files. I'll be doing my usual editing in the graphic editor in the consolidated window, then I hit the spacebar to stop and the graphic editing window jumps back in the timeline. I'm looking at it right now and the playback wiper and counter are at 4:14 -exactly where I hit the spacebar, but the window itself jumped back in time - in this case it's showing 3:50 - 4:00 so the wiper is not visible. As soon as I hit the spacebar again to play everything is normal. This doesn't happen all the time, but frequently enough to be pretty annoying. Is anyone else seeing anything like this?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Graphic editing window jumps back in time

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

New to me. Just wondering if you have a count down measure or two enabled?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:New to me. Just wondering if you have a count down measure or two enabled?
No, no countdown measures or count off.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

No Memory buttons selected?

I think I've seen this, and I think I figured it out, but for the life of me I can't remember. For a guy who used to remember literally everything he read, saw, or heard, this is the most distressing part of growing older. My brain cells are dying!!! Send drugs! :lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That is a weird one.

Does it do it at all zoom levels? Does it do it when you have no regions selected?

Makes me wonder if there is a possible command conflict (i.e., if your stop or pause is paging you backward as well)?

Let us know what you figure out.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

stubbsonic wrote:That is a weird one.

Does it do it at all zoom levels? Does it do it when you have no regions selected?
Not sure if zoom level has anything to do with it. Doesn't seem to, but not sure.
No regions selected.
stubbsonic wrote:Makes me wonder if there is a possible command conflict (i.e., if your stop or pause is paging you backward as well)?

Let us know what you figure out.
I'm not using any other memory or time commands at all, simply playing and stopping with the spacebar. I really think this is a GUI bug and if no one else is seeing it, then maybe it's tied to working with longer files than most do. I've been doing this work for many years and it's only started with DP8. It's so occasional- I've experimented and there's nothing I can do to make it happen like having the cursor at the extreme end of the screen etc. I am going to start taking notes when it does happen to see what I did just before that, that might be a clue about a cause.

Shooshie, the drugs are in the mail.
It's a JOKE people, a JOKE. :D

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:Shooshie, the drugs are in the mail.
Yeah... [wink, wink] a Joke!
I'll be watching the mailbox.

:lol:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:
philbrown wrote:Shooshie, the drugs are in the mail.
Yeah... [wink, wink] a Joke!
I'll be watching the mailbox.

:lol:
You guys are joking, but hard drugs are no joke!

I bet you thought I was going somewhere else with that...

We now return to our regularly scheduled program "Fanboy" already in progress.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

philbrown wrote:I've never seen this before DP8 and it seems to be happening more and more. I do a lot of linear editing of seminars involving hour-long sound files. I'll be doing my usual editing in the graphic editor in the consolidated window, then I hit the spacebar to stop and the graphic editing window jumps back in the timeline. I'm looking at it right now and the playback wiper and counter are at 4:14 -exactly where I hit the spacebar, but the window itself jumped back in time - in this case it's showing 3:50 - 4:00 so the wiper is not visible. As soon as I hit the spacebar again to play everything is normal. This doesn't happen all the time, but frequently enough to be pretty annoying. Is anyone else seeing anything like this?
I frequently do large (long) projects - 1.5 to 2 hours. Haven't seen this (at least in the sequence and waveform editors). When you say "graphic editor" are you talking about the sequence editor?
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

cleamon wrote: I frequently do large (long) projects - 1.5 to 2 hours. Haven't seen this (at least in the sequence and waveform editors). When you say "graphic editor" are you talking about the sequence editor?
Yes.

MIDI Life Crisis

I'm wondering if you have some kind of a "stuck key" thing happening. You might try a different user account to make sure it's not a software conflict.

So following the blood trail here... any third party mouse or keyboard drivers? Logitech? Steer Mouse? USB Overdrive? KeyboardHack, etc?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm wondering if you have some kind of a "stuck key" thing happening. You might try a different user account to make sure it's not a software conflict.

So following the blood trail here... any third party mouse or keyboard drivers? Logitech? Steer Mouse? USB Overdrive? KeyboardHack, etc?
I have a Logic Performance MX mouse and use its own driver.
That's about it. Standard Apple keyboard.
I just realized my Contour Shuttle was still plugged in but I never installed the software after I rebuilt my system. Duh. I just unplugged it, but only time will tell if that was it. This happens maybe 2-3 times a day and I'm buried in work at the moment so I should know something in a day or two.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!
This isn't a huge deal thankfully, just an annoyance.

MIDI Life Crisis

Death by a thousand mouse bites!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Death by a thousand mouse bites!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

philbrown wrote:I've never seen this before DP8 and it seems to be happening more and more. I do a lot of linear editing of seminars involving hour-long sound files. I'll be doing my usual editing in the graphic editor in the consolidated window, then I hit the spacebar to stop and the graphic editing window jumps back in the timeline. I'm looking at it right now and the playback wiper and counter are at 4:14 -exactly where I hit the spacebar, but the window itself jumped back in time - in this case it's showing 3:50 - 4:00 so the wiper is not visible. As soon as I hit the spacebar again to play everything is normal. This doesn't happen all the time, but frequently enough to be pretty annoying. Is anyone else seeing anything like this?
I've experienced this for well over a year now. Always had it since first day of DP8. The length of the project doesn't matter. I used to think it did it more often when recording something- but I think I just notice it more. It used to drive me nuts, but I'm so used to it by now that I don't think about it anymore. Hitting the space bar on and off puts it back where (or, near where) it belongs, and that's an automatic response for me now.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.