Join multiple MIDI inputs

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
fatnack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Join multiple MIDI inputs

Post by fatnack »

Dear Community,

I have a BCF2000 controller / MIDI interface with a MIDI piano connected to it. The controller sends on port 1, and the connected piano sends on port 2. I need to use both simultaneously, for instance for recording a MIDI CC while playing. I can't figure out how to create a device that spans over these two ports. Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks a lot,
Remo
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Join multiple MIDI inputs

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

STUDIO MENU (close to the bottom) MULTI-RECORD
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
fatnack

Post by fatnack »

I have that enabled. But isn't that for recording to multiple tracks simultaneously? What I want to do is to record input from two MIDI ports to 'one' track. Just like Logic, Cubase etc. do it when you enable multiple MIDI inputs (there it's a global setting I think).
MIDI Life Crisis

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. I don't think you can do that in DP. Each controller needs to be on its own track AFAIK. You can merge them later.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If you turn OFF multi record, will it then listen to all active MIDI and record it to the current track?

Is it possible the BCF2000 has a merge mode somewhere in the settings?

I also wonder if you might be able to use AudioMIDI setup to somehow merge those. I've never tried that. I know it has those virtual patch cords, but I don't know if it would allow this.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Hmmm... A/M setup is a great idea if it works. I don't see why not.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Turn off multi record and all MIDI inputs will sum to whatever MIDI track is record-enabled.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

The BCF2000 *can* merge, it has different states.
Manuals etc @
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx
PS
Firmware is now 1.10

Best

Klaus
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

fatnack wrote:Dear Community,

I have a BCF2000 controller / MIDI interface with a MIDI piano connected to it. The controller sends on port 1, and the connected piano sends on port 2. I need to use both simultaneously, for instance for recording a MIDI CC while playing. I can't figure out how to create a device that spans over these two ports. Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks a lot,
Remo
The answer has been here a while now, but no response. Allow me to repeat what others have said: turn off Multi-Record. That's for recording discreetly on multiple tracks with multiple controllers, that is, without overlapping. One controller per track.

So, turn off Multi-Record, and just record normally. Every controller will be available to the track you're recording. You can use a keyboard, a breath controller, and a pedal board all at once if you like.

What you stated that you want to do is something we all do every day. Not a problem.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
fatnack

Post by fatnack »

Thank you all, turning off "Multi Record" did the trick! Sorry for the late response, I have been very busy. I really appreciate this community and all the quick and helpful answers.
dvithyavuthi

Post by dvithyavuthi »

As another option, you can get this free application called MidiPipe that can group all your MIDI inputs into one which will allow you to use them both even while in Multi Record mode.

http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dvithyavuthi wrote:As another option, you can get this free application called MidiPipe that can group all your MIDI inputs into one which will allow you to use them both even while in Multi Record mode.

http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html
Or just use MIDI Merge boxes.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|