OSX or DP 8.06 File Naming Curiosity

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OSX or DP 8.06 File Naming Curiosity

Post by buzzsmith »

Hi, All...

We recently did a rhythm tracking session at another studio to be completed here at my place.

The other studio was using ProTools and the engineer saved each song individually eventually providing me with a thumb drive full of consolidated audio for each song.

All went well loading the deinterleaved Wave files into a single project in DP.

Later, I realized that I had neglected to load in 3 tracks of percussion on one song, so I went back to the thumb drive and located them.

He had labeled 2 of them incorrectly, but I had a note stating that.

So...I find the files that I'm looking for:

Key1_04-L.wav
Key1_04-R.wav
PERC_04.wav

I drug them to the desktop and renamed them to:

Congas L.wav
Congas R.wav
Tambourine.wav

However, when I drug them into the appropriate spots within that song in the project, the file names went back to the original names...Key1_04-L.wav, for instance.

(Actually, DP added a numeric extension to differentiate these files from others similarly named. Key1_04-L.7.)

Just wondering why "my" file names were replaced by the original file names?

Thanks!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Re: OSX or DP 8.06 File Naming Curiosity

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Try getting info on the file. Maybe the answer is there? I suspect some header related to file time stamping may be the root.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Re: OSX or DP 8.06 File Naming Curiosity

Post by stubbsonic »

Probably, this has to do with the distinction between the FILENAME and the REGION-NAME.

Sometimes an audio file has only one region which is the audio file in its entirety. But DP will still treat them as separate entities. When you are in the Soundbites window, you can see that there are two columns: one showing the region and another showing the the audio file from which it derives. When you have a single audio file that had multiple regions associated with it, this process makes sense.

I think that's all this is.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com