My biggest DP issue: MIDI automation

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re:

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Gabe S. wrote: hehe I've been waiting for MLC to weigh in. I'm bummed that MLC is not on our side…..
I wasn't aware this was a competition. I'll reconsider my position. LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gabe S.

Re: Re:

Post by Gabe S. »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I wasn't aware this was a competition. I'll reconsider my position. LOL
haha!

I actually got a quick note from Matt LaPoint this AM. He mentioned that MIDI automation has been discussed "thoroughly" within their team, and that there are some improvements slated for DP9……….interesting!

C'mon MLC, all the cool kids are doing it. :D

Cheers.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: My biggest DP issue: MIDI automation

All the cool kids in my elementary school (circa 1966!) also sniffed glue. I didn't. Most of them are dock workers or dead now. I'm just an underemployed musician.... LOL. I used my glue to build models of cars and Universal movie monsters. I wish I had a few of them model$ today!

BTW, I'm not against MIDI automation, per se, it just never became an issue for me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

Back to snapshots and MIDI automation window. Only volume, pan and MIDI mute are included. Anyone for inclusion of controllers?
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

frankf wrote:Back to snapshots and MIDI automation window. Only volume, pan and MIDI mute are included. Anyone for inclusion of controllers?
I was wondering about that too the other day. To me, it seems if we were to get into all those controllers with pre-written points, that really increases the desire for a continuous-style of automation like the audio automation. That way you don't have any pre-written automation points locked in for so many parameters.

I'll be curious to see if MOTU really does include some new implementation of it in DP9.

Cheers.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gabe S. wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I wasn't aware this was a competition. I'll reconsider my position. LOL
haha!

I actually got a quick note from Matt LaPoint this AM. He mentioned that MIDI automation has been discussed "thoroughly" within their team, and that there are some improvements slated for DP9……….interesting!

C'mon MLC, all the cool kids are doing it. :D

Cheers.
-gabe
What'd i tell ya? With "Lanes" in play, reviewing the way it works is a no-brainer. Our guys at MOTU have brains, I tell ya!

That's great news. But like the cat auditioning his gourmet food, but who is never quite pleased, I'm still hoping for even MORE!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:I'm still hoping for even MORE!

Shoosh
Time for the DP 10 wish list then?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

Shooshie wrote:What'd i tell ya? With "Lanes" in play, reviewing the way it works is a no-brainer. Our guys at MOTU have brains, I tell ya!

That's great news. But like the cat auditioning his gourmet food, but who is never quite pleased, I'm still hoping for even MORE!
hehe yeah I'm quite looking forward to lanes. And yes, It would be awesome if those MIDI lanes had some fancy shmancy new features too. :D

-g
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:...like the cat auditioning his gourmet food, but who is never quite pleased, I'm still hoping for even MORE!

Shoosh
Careful what you wish for...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Gabe S. wrote:
frankf wrote:Back to snapshots and MIDI automation window. Only volume, pan and MIDI mute are included. Anyone for inclusion of controllers?
I was wondering about that too the other day. To me, it seems if we were to get into all those controllers with pre-written points, that really increases the desire for a continuous-style of automation like the audio automation. That way you don't have any pre-written automation points locked in for so many parameters.

I'll be curious to see if MOTU really does include some new implementation of it in DP9.

Cheers.
-gabe
Oh this is so fantastic.

I rarely use MIDI, and when I end up having to... the MIDI automation thing always gets me. It's not just in DP either.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I thought I'd chime in here.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Thanks Tim.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Cubase has something called "virgin territories" (bizarre name). You can see it starting at 6:14 here:

http://youtu.be/bIGJkgkQvWY

Is this the type of behavior you are looking for?

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

nk_e wrote:Cubase has something called "virgin territories" (bizarre name). You can see it starting at 6:14 here:

http://youtu.be/bIGJkgkQvWY

Is this the type of behavior you are looking for?
Thanks for the video link.

The first thing to notice before Virgin Territories is that when he opens up the volume automation lane for that synth MIDI track, there's a continuous line sitting there, and when automates on that line there are no surprises. It looks like he automated an audio track. I guess we do need to ask if an automation point was put there before prior to making the video. But at least there's a continuous LINE there.

Virgin Territories sounds fascinating too. As long as the MIDI CC doesn't jump around to 127 in the absence of data, then that sounds awesome.

Yes, both of these things seem to take MIDI automation to another level. So, the statements that all DAWs are the same on MIDI automation and that's just how it is, are no longer correct.

Thanks for finding that.
-gabe
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Gabe S. wrote: The first thing to notice before Virgin Territories is that when he opens up the volume automation lane for that synth MIDI track, there's a continuous line sitting there, and when automates on that line there are no surprises. It looks like he automated an audio track. I guess we do need to ask if an automation point was put there before prior to making the video. But at least there's a continuous LINE there.
The first time you open up an automation lane, or touch the fader to record some automation, a line is immediately written in the at your fader's starting level.

Hope that makes sense.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com