My biggest DP issue: MIDI automation

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My biggest DP issue: MIDI automation

Post by monkey man »

Tim wrote:I thought I'd chime in here.
AweTim!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

nk_e wrote:The first time you open up an automation lane, or touch the fader to record some automation, a line is immediately written in the at your fader's starting level.

Hope that makes sense.
That's what I'm asking for.

-g
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
dix

Post by dix »

dix wrote:...Another approach would be to set up your template with MIDI values written on each track from the start. As this guy demonstrates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOWglixolyQ ...i love his videos!
I just tried this and it doesn't work. My templates come back without any MIDI data on the tracks. By saving them a Template the MIDI data is erased. Are other people having the same experience?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

dix wrote:
dix wrote:I just tried this and it doesn't work. My templates come back without any MIDI data on the tracks. By saving them a Template the MIDI data is erased. Are other people having the same experience?
What you can do is take the session and make it a Stationary Pad. (Get Info on the session file and click the button.) Stationary Pads remember everything in that session. Then that session becomes a starting point for new sessions. DP even prompts you to Save As a new file when you open it. If you want to edit the Stationary Pad file, you need to uncheck the option, then open and make your changes, and then click on it again once you close the session.

This is how I work. I don't use "templates" because the feature had some Audio Assign bugs in it. But Stationary Pads have always been stable.

-g
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Gabe S. wrote:What you can do is take the session and make it a Stationary Pad. (Get Info on the session file and click the button.) Stationary Pads remember everything in that session. Then that session becomes a starting point for new sessions. DP even prompts you to Save As a new file when you open it. If you want to edit the Stationary Pad file, you need to uncheck the option, then open and make your changes, and then click on it again once you close the session.

This is how I work. I don't use "templates" because the feature had some Audio Assign bugs in it. But Stationary Pads have always been stable.

-g
Wow that's really awesome Gabe, thanks for posting it.. gonna have to try it!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

Killahurts wrote:Wow that's really awesome Gabe, thanks for posting it.. gonna have to try it!
When you try it, don't double click the Ststionary Pad file to launch it. It won't work correctly. (It will make a copy of itself instead.). Choose one of the two following options:

-drag the file onto the DP logo in your dock. It will open and prompt you to save it as a new session.
-drag the Stationary Pad file onto your dock to put an alias of it there. You can click on it on the dock and it will open properly and prompt you to make a new session.

-g
dix

Post by dix »

-drag the file onto the DP logo in your dock. It will open and prompt you to save it as a new session.
-drag the Stationary Pad file onto your dock to put an alias of it there. You can click on it on the dock and it will open properly and prompt you to make a new session.
Cool! That's the key to this tip. Just double clicking on the Stationary pad means you have to create a Project folder manually. But dragging to DP or keeping New Templates in the dock is super simple. Also, I noticed that using the Open dialogue within DP has the same effect - prompting you to create a new Project. Thanks Gabe!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

I can't disagree with Gabe on this.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"