DP Control Working Again

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Control Working Again

Post by billf »

After I updated my iPad to iOS 8.2, I was able to get DP Control to work again. The first couple of times I tried changing screens (example from Transport to Mixer) it crashed, but once relaunched, it works fine.

Very, very odd.

Anyway, here's what I did specifically.

Disclaimer: I have NO idea if any of this makes a difference beyond my system, but since it did work for me, I'm documenting it just in case it helps others:

0. First I updated my iPad to iOS 8.2. My Mac Pro is running 10.9.5

1. I set up my Mac Pro to run a local network. I set it up as a 40-bit WEP, and had my iPad join that network.

2. I set up V-Control Pro properly with Ney-Fi version (1.8.0.1) and set it up to run DP.

3. I verified that V-Control Pro was running DP 8.07 properly, and it all tested out.

4. Then on a whim I decided to try DP Control. After I launched it, I went into settings, and selected the Mac Pro.

5. To my amazement, DP Control came online. I went to look at the Transport Control, and crash city. I relaunched DP Control, has to add the Mac Pro again, and this time the Transport Control window worked!

6. So I tried switching to the Mixer window, and once again, crash. I relaunched DP Control again, and got it to work.

7. After that, it's been stable and all functions are working.

Hopefully this helps some of those who have had a non-functional DP Control (like I have). It looks like I'll be staying with iOS 8.2 now (until MOTU updates DP Control at least). :mrgreen:
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
tommymandel

Re: DP Control Working Again

Post by tommymandel »

That's very good news, Bill. I've got DP Control working on my MacPro tower, but only erratically on my MacbookPro laptop. Tower and laptop share the same OSXes and DPv.'s, but maybe it has to do with using airport on the laptop and a hardwired ethernet connection on the tower. Especially seeing how your network set-up seems to be a big part of your solution. (that, and getting past the first crash on each screen!)
I guess I think different (sic) though: joyously living out my last months in legacy heaven: (Mac OSX 10.6.8 and iOS 6.1.3) +>
I can feel the winds of change blowing though: things are just running too smoothly. :?
DP Control has been very useful to me in recording my B3, which is on the other side of the room from the computer. When I had an old multitrack, Lou Gonzales had designed a 'droid' that I could wheel over to the organ for punches and the like. Those days are long gone. And (against my better judgement) soon Snow Leopard and the fabled eye-friendly iOS will be too...
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
billf

Post by billf »

I definitely think just having the Mac Pro act as a LAN is helping, although I'm a bit puzzled why DP Control crashed on me twice yesterday before deciding to stabilize. I really hope MOTU decides to update it, and perhaps with DP9 on the horizon, they will.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I just got an iPad after reading all the good stuff Babz posted. DP Control crashes on the mixer. But it works fine on my iPhone with iO 7.2 and on my ancient iPod Touch running 4.3, which is not even supported. So, yes, DP control needs fixing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8