Who would like track comp tool to have Layer option?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Who would like track comp tool to have Layer option?

Post by toodamnhip »

One of the cool things I like in DP is the ability to LAYER various takes instead of erase what’s underneath any given edit.

I use this all the time to fine tune WHERE to bring a new take into track , among other uses.

I really wish the track comp tool had the option to “layer" this way instead of erasing what’s underneath, which is what it does now.

This would allow me to bring in layers of audio with the comp tool and then “peel back” to expose what’s underneath for more options. Yes...there are “workarounds”..but why not just allow the comp tool to “layer” in the same way other editing can occur?

As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, I see no reason really why the comp tool doesn’t just default to layering.
Anyone here agree with me and see the benefits of a “layering” comp tool ?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Robert Randolph

Re: Who would like track comp tool to have Layer option?

Post by Robert Randolph »

Isn't this exactly what the 'Turn takes into tracks' function is for? I don't even see it as a workaround.

I don't even understand how a layering tool would work different, that would require multiple takes to be playing at the same time, and thereby essentially just being different tracks.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Robert Randolph wrote:Isn't this exactly what the 'Turn takes into tracks' function is for? I don't even see it as a workaround.

I don't even understand how a layering tool would work different, that would require multiple takes to be playing at the same time, and thereby essentially just being different tracks.
There are many examples of “why” one would want this.

The situation I am currently in has stereo guitar tracks. I wish to superimpose 2 bars ON TOP of what is there already. Then, knowing I might still want a piece of the preexisting comp underneath, I want to be able to edge edit and reveal pieces of the first set of takes. If the comp tool erases what is lies on top of, (even if only non-destructively), then I cannot peel back the top take to expose the lower takes.

Maybe a video is needed of this I don’t know. Now, of course there are other ways to get to my “final” comp. But edge edits which expose what is underneath allow for very intricate weaving of takes.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:The situation I am currently in has stereo guitar tracks. I wish to superimpose 2 bars ON TOP of what is there already. Then, knowing I might still want a piece of the preexisting comp underneath, I want to be able to edge edit and reveal pieces of the first set of takes. If the comp tool erases what is lies on top of, (even if only non-destructively), then I cannot peel back the top take to expose the lower takes.
Sounds to me like you just need to add takes. But if you add a take, the accompaniment track disappears. That is, the existing track, which you must be listening to in order to determine when and how you come in. That's what happens when we punch-in; we hear the track up to the punch-in point, and then it's gone while we're playing. Maybe you can do the punch-ins without the reference track. If so, adding a new take is easy. You can comp it and comp previous sections of the original take with no problems. That's what comping is all about.

But if you must have that reference track, then simply do this:

(I'm going to proceed as if you are talking about a single stereo track. If it's two mono-tracks, group them with all the comping, selection, and all relevant features turned on.)
  • 1) Hide takes
    2) CONTROL-COMMAND-S gives you a similar track. That's an empty track that is otherwise a duplicate of the one you had selected. Select the portion(s) you want to overdub, and COMMAND-Y, Snip. You may be able do snip multiple selections at once; I don't remember if that works or not, but it's worth a try. Let's assume that you can; if not, you'll know what to do. You're an old hand.
    3) Invert your selection. OPTION-Drag your stereo track segments to the similar track. You now have a single track with the DUPLICATED comp dragged to it, while the original and all its takes remain back in the original track.
    4) Now you can create a new take in the original track. It'll turn blank, but you'll have your reference track up to and beyond the punch-in points. You can now record on a new take, yet treat it like a punch-in. The reference track will be there. If you literally want to punch-in the recording, so that your new takes will be the right length to fit where you want them, do this:
    • 4a) Select the range you want to record in
      4b) CONTROL-OPTION-SHIFT-R changes the selection to Auto-Record. (at least I think it does. The command to look for in the commands window is something like "Set Auto-Record to Selection.")
    5) When you're done, select the Comp layer in that original track. Your original comp will return to view.
    6) Show takes.
    7) Proceed to comp the new takes in with the old.
Unless I'm missing something, this should do what you are asking for. All the original stuff is still in the track, but you've got the new "punched-in" takes.

If comping will erase your automation layers, you need to drag the automation layer to an empty similar track before comping. You can drag it back later, or leave it there if its track is grouped with the original. I'd drag it back..

I know this sounds involved, and it IS more involved than you want it to be, but give it a look and see if it gets you where you want to be. I haven't tried it. I wrote this with DP closed, but I think it's correct.

Tell me if I've missed something. Meanwhile, I think the comp tool ought to accommodate layers. I thought it DID, but I haven't been doing automation before comping, so I wouldn't know.

Shooshie

PS: I'm too sleepy to proofread. Please interpret my mistakes.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:The situation I am currently in has stereo guitar tracks. I wish to superimpose 2 bars ON TOP of what is there already. Then, knowing I might still want a piece of the preexisting comp underneath, I want to be able to edge edit and reveal pieces of the first set of takes. If the comp tool erases what is lies on top of, (even if only non-destructively), then I cannot peel back the top take to expose the lower takes.
Sounds to me like you just need to add takes. But if you add a take, the accompaniment track disappears. That is, the existing track, which you must be listening to in order to determine when and how you come in. That's what happens when we punch-in; we hear the track up to the punch-in point, and then it's gone while we're playing. Maybe you can do the punch-ins without the reference track. If so, adding a new take is easy. You can comp it and comp previous sections of the original take with no problems. That's what comping is all about.

But if you must have that reference track, then simply do this:

(I'm going to proceed as if you are talking about a single stereo track. If it's two mono-tracks, group them with all the comping, selection, and all relevant features turned on.)
  • 1) Hide takes
    2) CONTROL-COMMAND-S gives you a similar track. That's an empty track that is otherwise a duplicate of the one you had selected. Select the portion(s) you want to overdub, and COMMAND-Y, Snip. You may be able do snip multiple selections at once; I don't remember if that works or not, but it's worth a try. Let's assume that you can; if not, you'll know what to do. You're an old hand.
    3) Invert your selection. OPTION-Drag your stereo track segments to the similar track. You now have a single track with the DUPLICATED comp dragged to it, while the original and all its takes remain back in the original track.
    4) Now you can create a new take in the original track. It'll turn blank, but you'll have your reference track up to and beyond the punch-in points. You can now record on a new take, yet treat it like a punch-in. The reference track will be there. If you literally want to punch-in the recording, so that your new takes will be the right length to fit where you want them, do this:
    • 4a) Select the range you want to record in
      4b) CONTROL-OPTION-SHIFT-R changes the selection to Auto-Record. (at least I think it does. The command to look for in the commands window is something like "Set Auto-Record to Selection.")
    5) When you're done, select the Comp layer in that original track. Your original comp will return to view.
    6) Show takes.
    7) Proceed to comp the new takes in with the old.
Unless I'm missing something, this should do what you are asking for. All the original stuff is still in the track, but you've got the new "punched-in" takes.

If comping will erase your automation layers, you need to drag the automation layer to an empty similar track before comping. You can drag it back later, or leave it there if its track is grouped with the original. I'd drag it back..

I know this sounds involved, and it IS more involved than you want it to be, but give it a look and see if it gets you where you want to be. I haven't tried it. I wrote this with DP closed, but I think it's correct.

Tell me if I've missed something. Meanwhile, I think the comp tool ought to accommodate layers. I thought it DID, but I haven't been doing automation before comping, so I wouldn't know.

Shooshie

PS: I'm too sleepy to proofread. Please interpret my mistakes.
Thanks for writing all that..
I am not sure you are getting my scenario. First off, the guitars are already recorded and I wish to have a layered action in the comp, having pre recorded takes not erase what’s underneath in the comp track.
The way I get this now seems much simpler to me than your instructions. I just get out of comp tool mode, go to pointer mode, highlite what I want, copy and then highlight the comp at the same location and merge instead of paste This technique also applies when I want to take a part at bar 5 and place it in bar 4. The comp tool will only place it in the corresponding time location. So I need to leave the comp tool for that too.
I know MOTU could do this. I think they must not see WHY to do it. I should make a video sometime and SHOW the why it is needed. I would post one here but the only way I know how to post a video here is to upload it to my companies’ website and make a url...and I don;t want to open filezilla and deal with all that. Just imagine going to a sub take and merging it on top of a comp tracking and edge editing a little at a time, revealing what’s underneath so as to use both part and refine the original merge by edge edits. That’s what I need to do.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote: Thanks for writing all that..
I am not sure you are getting my scenario. First off, the guitars are already recorded and I wish to have a layered action in the comp, having pre recorded takes not erase what’s underneath in the comp track.
The way I get this now seems much simpler to me than your instructions. I just get out of comp tool mode, go to pointer mode, highlite what I want, copy and then highlight the comp at the same location and merge instead of paste This technique also applies when I want to take a part at bar 5 and place it in bar 4. The comp tool will only place it in the corresponding time location. So I need to leave the comp tool for that too.
I know MOTU could do this. I think they must not see WHY to do it. I should make a video sometime and SHOW the why it is needed. I would post one here but the only way I know how to post a video here is to upload it to my companies’ website and make a url...and I don;t want to open filezilla and deal with all that. Just imagine going to a sub take and merging it on top of a comp tracking and edge editing a little at a time, revealing what’s underneath so as to use both part and refine the original merge by edge edits. That’s what I need to do.
You're right. I don't think I understood what you were trying to do, and I'm not sure I do even now. It seems like you're making it sound harder than it is, and there may be an easier way, yet.

Do you have Screenflow, the video app? It's one of the best suited for this kind of thing that I've ever seen. I've been using it for my videos, and not only does it allow you to zoom in on parts of the screen, and show key-clicks, and many other screen actions, it also allows you to upload directly to YouTube. You do have to open a YouTube account, if you don't already have one, but that's free, too.

You can make YouTube videos private, or by URL only. Or you can make them public as I do most of the time. I have a few that you can only reach by URL's I've posted here. But even some of those I made public. Anyway, the point is that you can allow the video to upload overnight or over an hour or however long it takes, and it's free. No Dropbox required. It's a worthy investment for getting across points like this.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|