Toggle record with page turner pedal

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
massimosammi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by massimosammi »

Hello there,
I have this page turner pedal:

http://www.pageflip.com/pageflipCicada.html

I connected it to my system in order to toggle/start record (as in the 3 key in the numeric keypad) and stop/play (as in the spacebar) hands free when I track my guitar parts. I have the memory cycle on with auto rewind, so I can start and stop the recording cycle of the takes without taking my hands off the instrument, which I find distracting.

In the settings of the pedal I have few options, but there's one that works well, assigning the return key to the right pedal, and in the DP command list I assign the return key to the record command as the key 2. And in the same setting I have the left pedal assigned to the spacebar, which is assigned to play/stop by default in DP.

Everything works like a charm and I'm really happy about it! But the only restriction is that I have to assign the command and keep the commands window open, otherwise it stops working. Which is not a big deal, because I can keep it open and make it very small in one of the sidebars, or pop it out and leave it in the background.

Does this happen also in other cases? Is there something I'm not aware about the use/functionality of the commands and the fact of having to keep the commands window open?

Thanks in advance!!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Toggle record with page turner pedal

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You shouldn't have to keep the commands window open once a command has been set. If you have Quickeys or Keyboard Maestro you might have better luck setting a standard keyboard key to the function and having QK or KM set to trigger that key. You might also try some other keys. THe return key is kind of a special key and needed for a lot of stuff. THe system simply may not like you hijacking that key. If, for example, you get an error or other dialogue box, the system wants to see that key and may be reluctant (by design) to give it up. I might be completely wrong on that (it happens!) but personally I'd try some other key combination.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

massimosammi wrote:Does this happen also in other cases? Is there something I'm not aware about the use/functionality of the commands and the fact of having to keep the commands window open?

Thanks in advance!!
DP will allow you to put Return into a field (for what reason, I don't know), but it won't allow you to save it. Forward-Delete may also be accepted temporarily like that. It seems like there were two or three keys that can't be saved as triggers. I know that Return is one of them. The regular Backspace Delete Key cannot be assigned to anything, because its function is to remove commands.

I'm glad you found a use for that pedal! If you have QuicKeys, you may be able to use that to translate the Return, specifically from that pedal, to another command for DP. I think QK can intercept it (knowing the source device) and translate it before it reaches DP.

Shooshie

PS: other commands don't require the window to be open!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wow, I was right... LOL. I use the \ key for record. Doesn't seem useful elsewhere.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

Great, I'll follow these guidelines. Thanks so much Shooshie and MIDI Life Crisis for your replies!!!

Best,
Massi

- Late 2011 8,2 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS 10.10.2, 480GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD OS Drive, 480GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD - Optical Bay Sample Drive, DP 8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, VEPro 5, Vienna MIRPro
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

P.S. Works like a charm! Thanks guys!

Best,
Massi

- Late 2011 8,2 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS 10.10.2, 480GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD OS Drive, 480GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD - Optical Bay Sample Drive, DP 8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, VEPro 5, Vienna MIRPro