Click defaults only follows conductor track?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Click defaults only follows conductor track?

Post by Robert Randolph »

So I had a project today where I'd been using the tempo slider, no conductor track. I went to change the click defaults, and it did not affect the click at all.

I went through the manual and read every word I could find about the click, and noticed it says:
After you customize your default click patterns as desired, Digital Performer will automatically use them whenever the click is enabled and your sequence Conductor Track matches the meter and tempo of each default click.

So I turned on the conductor track, inserted the Tempo event at 1|1|000*. Didn't work. So I added a meter change as well. Now the click defaults kicked in. My sequence was already at 4/4 80bpm.

The part that confused me, is that even if I switch back to the tempo slider, the conductor track still triggered the click defaults or click value, even if I changed the tempo slider...

Am I missing something here, or is this perhaps a bug?
antonborisov

Re: Click defaults only follows conductor track?

Post by antonborisov »

Yes, I found the same problem today. http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=58365 I believe the manual here is slightly confusing. You can define click patterns in Preferences but they are not applied automatically by default, but rather "...Digital Performer will automatically use them whenever the click is enabled and your sequence Conductor Track matches the meter and tempo of each default click..." which means that Conductor track should do something (e.g. have meter information).
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

When you make custom clicks, they are connected to a specific meter and tempo range. For them to automatically activate, the meter has to be specified and the tempo has to vary within the specified range. (specified when you create them in the Custom Clicks preferences)

They don't work with the tempo slider, though it's possible that DP is defaulting to the last click style. If so, that may be a bug, or not.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Shooshie wrote:When you make custom clicks, they are connected to a specific meter and tempo range. For them to automatically activate, the meter has to be specified and the tempo has to vary within the specified range. (specified when you create them in the Custom Clicks preferences)

They don't work with the tempo slider, though it's possible that DP is defaulting to the last click style. If so, that may be a bug, or not.

Shoosh
It seems to only work if you insert a meter and tempo event in the conductor track. If a meter event is missing, it does not seem to work.

It's very counter-intuitive and I wasted a few hours trying to figure this out when I originally wrote this post.

I really hope it's a bug that gets fixed, and that click defaults work without a conductor track. If you're using a conductor track you can already set the click rhythm anyway.
doctormelodious

Post by doctormelodious »

Greetings, people from 2015. 8)

I'm having the same problem, but I've done everything I know to do. At the beginning of the sequence I've added a meter change and a tempo change, set the tempo source (or whatever it's called) dropdown menu to "Conductor," made sure my tempo is in the correct range I set in "Click Defaults" in "Preferences and Settings," quit and restarted DP, threw myself on the floor screaming and banging my fists in a childish temper tantrum, held my breath 'til I turned blue... But DP is still giving me quarter notes, not the eighth notes I specified as Beat Value.

Any further thoughts on this?

Thanks,
DM
Mac Pro 8 x 2.8GHz, 16GB, OS X 10.6.8
DP 7.24, MachFive 3.2, EZ Drummer, RealGuitar/Strat/LPC
Ivory II Italian Grand, Korg Legacy M1/PolySix
Garritan PO4/JABB3, NI FM8, Vintage Horns
UAD-2 Solo, RME FireFace 800
Mackie HR824s, various mics/keys/outboard

"What a beautiful world this will be. What a glorious time to DP!"
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

So you put a Meter Change event in the Conductor track. And for that Meter Change,

1 | 1 | 000 4/4 click=8th note

Yes?

I just did that, it it clicked 8th notes, as expected.

Just for the heck of it, I deleted all those click defaults in preferences. I never use them anyway. At some point, I may go back and make some. This had no effect on my click, i.e. it was still clicking at 8th notes as it should.

You said you specified the beat value, perhaps in your tempo event? Make sure you are changing the CLICK value in the Meter event.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
doctormelodious

Post by doctormelodious »

Thanks, stubbsonic. I've moved on to a different project at the moment, but when I get a moment I will look again. I may have left something out that's in your description. :)
Mac Pro 8 x 2.8GHz, 16GB, OS X 10.6.8
DP 7.24, MachFive 3.2, EZ Drummer, RealGuitar/Strat/LPC
Ivory II Italian Grand, Korg Legacy M1/PolySix
Garritan PO4/JABB3, NI FM8, Vintage Horns
UAD-2 Solo, RME FireFace 800
Mackie HR824s, various mics/keys/outboard

"What a beautiful world this will be. What a glorious time to DP!"