some odd issues start up/automation/fader movement

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
solex
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

some odd issues start up/automation/fader movement

Post by solex »

dear dp-fellows

I have some awkward (at least to me) issues I can't get my head around and I was hoping somebody could help me out.
The first issue started a couple of weeks ago. Whenever I start up DP, it runs through all the plugins and then freezes for quite a long period of time until the welcome screen appears. It always took some time there in between, but never that long (also the "force-quit-applications" menu uf mac osx it says "not responding"). I have no idea why, since I can't remember changing anything about my system (no new installations etcetera).

the second issue:
In the mixer window, I want to record volume fader automation (touch mode). Whenever my mixer window is wider than my screen and I'm not on the very left side with the horizontal scrollbar, as soon as I move the fader, the window "jumps" to the very left side, which is very irritating and I always mess up my automation I was going to do :D. Now I just deselect tracks first, to get my window less wide, but that's kind of annoying :( any hints?

And third, somehow related to the second I guess: also volume fader problem. Whenever I want to make slight adjustments of the volume by holding the cmd-button while moving the fader, it first jumps to the minus infinity position. After that it works normally.

All of the problems are not a big concern, but it's just slightly annoying and "jamming" my workflow from time to time.
So any help is appreciated :)

Thanks
Solex

I use
DP 8.07
Macbook Pro mid 2012 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
OS 10.10.2
mikehalloran

Re: some odd issues start up/automation/fader movement

Post by mikehalloran »

Problem #1. You can open Console to see what the issue is. I have my guesses. Since the normal solution is to reinstall DP 8, repair permissions in Disk Utility and reboot, you may wish to try that first and see if you still have an issue.

It's a good idea to do a Safe Boot once a year or so. This resets certain caches to default and can speed up loadin times of certain apps including DP. Hold the Shift key down while booting. Once you are logged in, shut down and reboot. Both processes will take some time, don't worry about that.

If you still have a problem, open Console and see what isn't loading correctly (the Mackie HUI plugin?) or what old crap you should have deleted ten years ago is trying to load and failing. DP will try to load such things three times before moving on. You will see this in Console if it's happening. The HUI plugin failing to load is solved by reinstalling DP 8...

There is no uninstaller with DP 8. You just reinstall.

There's another possible cause but it's far more rare.

I can't help you on your other two issues, never having experienced them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
solex

Post by solex »

hi mike

thanks for your reply. Going to try first with reinstall & repair permission.

I don't use the mackie HUI and neither do I have any old crap installed, since I set my whole system up from scratch in december (completely new OS X installation and also applications & plugins, no migration or anything exactly to avoid sth like that).

Will also try the safe boot, thanks!
What's the other – rare – case you're talking about?
solex

Post by solex »

Hi there

I tried reinstalling, repair permissions and the safe boot. So far no improvement. In console it shows me some stuff, but I don't know how to read it or what the errors are. There's a warning:
WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.2 instead of 10.10.2. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.
Call location:
And then some lines like
CarbonCore 0x0000000105a843ca _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 987
and similar.
But besides that nothing that looks unusual or like an error.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated :)
solex

Post by solex »

update: I also stumbled upon a rather bad problem. Sometimes when I deleted a bus from a send, the send kept being routed via bus to the aux. Mute has no effect as well... for mixing quite dangerous.

Anyway, after getting good support from the motu tech crew we figured out, that at least some of the problems are caused by some corrupted files on the user level. With a new admin account, everything went well.

I guess I was lucky, but updating to 10.10.3 actually solved my problems so far (at least some of them).

I thought I post it here, so it may be helpful to others stumbling across similar issues.