Easy way to see/edit all automation for an audio track?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MDesigner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Easy way to see/edit all automation for an audio track?

Post by MDesigner »

I've automated several audio tracks by recording myself disabling them (as I want the percussion to drop out for 8 bars). But I'm trying to figure out how to go back and precisely move that automation disable so it's lined up on the beat. Ideally I'd like to be able to view all audio tracks' automation at once (even if it's just for volume). I can't for the life of me figure it out, and I'm on a deadline. Any help would be great!
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
MDesigner

Re: Easy way to see/edit all automation for an audio track?

Post by MDesigner »

I keep seeing things like this in the manual, but can't figure out how to get that view.

Sam Hulick
Composer
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't know how you get all forms of automation on screen at the same time. I'm assuming that one of those is the currently active layer, and the others were visible since last seeing the soundbite, making them all "on top" of the soundbite, even if they aren't the top layer. It is the soundbite that obscures the others, of course.

To see all the tracks' automation layer at once, hold down the W key while choosing that layer from the menu. Sometimes you have to do it a couple times, if not more. Sometimes I have to select the tracks (Command A) and hold down the T key while choosing the layer. I don't know why sometimes it doesn't want to work, but it usually DOES work.
W= temporary group for all visible
T = temporary group for all selected tracks

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You can get that view in the SE. Make one of your channels large enough to see the automation lane (you can see it from your own pic, just below the track name, where it reads volume.

Click in there (where it reads volume), and select the parameter you want to tweak from that list. Notice that from that list you'll only see in each track existing automation parameters.

If you w-click or t-click in the automation lane, all visible or selected tracks will show the selected automation parameter, so this is a good shortcut.

Other thing you can do if you have lots of different parameters automated, is to use the view filter. You can disable the soundbites, so you only see the automation in all tracks.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Found it.

Thanks for the other tips too (about W and T).
Sam Hulick
Composer
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by HobbyCore »

Shooshie wrote: I don't know why sometimes it doesn't want to work, but it usually DOES work.
W= temporary group for all visible
T = temporary group for all selected tracks

Shooshie
This is a great tip, and I figured out why it doesn't work sometimes as I was messing with it.

You have to press W or T before you click the menu, then you need to let the key go right after. If you keep holding the key then try to select another layer, it won't work. If you press the key after opening the menu, it won't work.

It is a bit confusing since the normal modifier keys (alt/ctrl/cmd) are able to used 'live' in menus.

edit: there's also a bug in Windows DP where if the 'key repeat' error sound kicks in, the key won't work. Does not happen in OS X.
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Actually, if I hold W before I click the menu, once it pops up the highlight cursor goes nuts because it's trying to find a menu item that starts with W. I open the menu, go to Edit Layer, then hold W before I click "Volume," and it works fine.
Sam Hulick
Composer
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

MDesigner wrote:Actually, if I hold W before I click the menu, once it pops up the highlight cursor goes nuts because it's trying to find a menu item that starts with W. I open the menu, go to Edit Layer, then hold W before I click "Volume," and it works fine.
What's your OS? Do you have any keyboard/HID extensions or apps installed?

It works the opposite for me here in both Windows and OS X. It very well could be something with my system as well, so I'd love to track this down.
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

OS 10.9.5. Not sure if anything is interfering.. I have a ton of different background apps installed.
Sam Hulick
Composer
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

I just tried on my macbook pro(OS X 10.10.2), which is about as bare as it can be, I only have DP 8.07 on on it and audio drivers.

I always have to press T/W before opening the menu and let go after selecting an item. If I press W after I open the menu, then it does not work.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MDesigner wrote:Actually, if I hold W before I click the menu, once it pops up the highlight cursor goes nuts because it's trying to find a menu item that starts with W. I open the menu, go to Edit Layer, then hold W before I click "Volume," and it works fine.
The same thing happens to me, Sam. I've assumed that was part of the problem with the W and T key not always working right. This just started recently.

Do you use a Magic Trackpad? I do. I'll try a mouse and see if that makes any difference. The Magic Trackpad causes ambiguous scrolling, especially in the vertical axis. I can hardly scroll faders with it. They start going both directions, back and forth, a little like the behavior of that menu. That's why I suspect the menu problem may have to do with the Magic Trackpad.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Aha :) I use a Magic Trackpad as well. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Sam Hulick
Composer