Mysterious bussing problems

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mbagalacomposer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mysterious bussing problems

Post by mbagalacomposer »

This is a somewhat specific issue that I'm trying to work through but am curious if anyone has had any similar issues and can provide any insight into the way DP uses busses and how this might be corrected.

The problem I'm having is, at the studio I work at we frequently move sessions back and forth between computers to do edits of each others work, stem cues and do any number of tasks within sessions that originated on other machines. The machines are more or less mirrored in terms of plugins, software versions etc etc and while we deal with a fair amount of trouble shooting its all usually pretty run of the mill and not much of an issue.

That said lately I've been encountering an issue and haven't really been able to track down the source of it.

What happens is I will bring a session over from one of our other machines. The process is I'll open the session in MIDI mode from my machine over the network. Clear out superflous audio, disconnect any VI's (We pretty much use exclusively Vienna Ensemble Pro to stream from a slave) and then do a save as… across the network onto my machine. Once its saved I'll do a bit more cleaning up and then turn the audio engine on and connect the VI's.

The problem I've encountered is that as soon as I turn on the the audio engine it nukes my bundles and changes all of my instrument returns to a rewire input. All 96 of them…

I've tried a number things, mostly changing the sequence in which things are turned back on within the sessions and with some spotty success I can get it to work, but its a huge time suck and definitely not the expected behavior.

Is there a way to deactivate the rewire returns perhaps? Or maybe I'm going wrong somewhere else. Its just a little bizzare as this process has been working without a problem for me for a solid year.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
FMiguelez

Re: Mysterious bussing problems

Post by FMiguelez »

Perhaps you could try exporting/importing your bundles from a good source?

You find these commands in the Bundles window minimenu.

I would first export the bundles when they are freshly set and all correct (the exact way you want them). Then, from your messed-up project, delete them all and import the fresh set you did.

That might work, and it would take you seconds to do it.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mbagalacomposer

Post by mbagalacomposer »

Thanks for the suggestion!

I had already tried that and the problem is that our template is huge (it has about 50 returns from the instruments) and when I import a bundles setting, while it corrects the messed up bundles, I'd still have to reassign each track in my session that its returning to…so no mas unfortunately.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Check out this topic,, sounds like the same problem:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=59275
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've been working with about 50 old files, some of which contain as many as 10 songs or more, consolidating them into a few files where I can find them all and work on them together. I have been through so many "systems" organizing my bundles, I/O, track order, color, etc., etc., that they are a real mess. There will be about five or six files from each period, making at least 10 systems I've used over the years (and probably more) at various times and places, for various purposes. At least you can't accuse me of being set in one way of doing things, but now that I'd like to have all that stuff together, it's a train wreck.

When I import them, even though I do not check the "bundles" box, they import their bundles anyway. (Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if I DID check that box? Would it do it differently? Keep them somehow separate? I doubt it, but it's worth checking out.) Anyway, reconfiguring vast MIDI files is a nightmare.

I wish I had DP9 already. They say it's going to have an I/O system that works a little like a wizard for setup. At least it works like the Audio Assignments dialog. I can't wait to see what they do with it, but I'm still doing this now, even though it means hours of wrist-crushing I/O settings. Actually, with the Magic Trackpad it's not that bad. Still takes a long time, though.

But since DP9 is NOT out yet, I beseech (implore, beg) MOTU's engineers to look at some kind of wizard so that we can get from any bundles settings to any other bundles settings in a few clicks, with all the tracks set up without having to navigate dozens of track output menus, each with that right-angle turn you have to make once you get across to the instrument, before dropping down to reach the channel. PLEASE, create something that makes this easy. We need something that helps do that stuff in a hurry.

Funny thing; for a couple of decades this kind of project was my bread and butter. For many years, however, I haven't been doing big MIDI projects like this, having been focusing on the audio recording side, so going back to it now feels like too much work! Of course, once it's set up, it's still DP, and it still has the tools I love using, but this I/O problem needs an easy solution.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|