Beginning DP8 basic setup

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
comp15
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Beginning DP8 basic setup

Post by comp15 »

I've completed the hardware configuration with my connected Audio Interface. When I'm in the pre-made DP guided lesson, when I press my MIDI keyboard keys I can each instrument track that I record enable. However, when I start fresh and make my own file, I load an instrument track but hear nothing when I press the MIDI keys.

I've been watching the Groove3 videos, but those videos assume you a good sum already about routing. Is there anything more basic that you can recommend?

For example, when the video goes over Bundles, the audio interface listed under inputs, and under outputs the MIDI keyboard is listed asa well. I don't think the problem is there.

Under MIDI Devices, the name of my MIDI keyboard wasn't on the list but I entered it.

Ports, properties and patches are unclear to me. Under Patches should I choose "General MIDI" in the drop down menu?

Since I made these changes, now each time I open up a DP files a dialogue box prompts which reads "Some MIDI assignments could not be found in the current MIDI Configuration. Make sure that these substitutions are correct." It lists both the Audio Interface and the MIDI keyboard I input. I choose the audio interface and click okay and move on. Yet, I hear nothing after I load an instrument. If I return to the DP Guided lesson, I do hear the instruments when I activate the MIDI keys.

Again the important difference is that in the pre-made template I hear sound but in one I start simply by choosing "create instrument track" I hear nothing.

Is there a more in-depth resource that talks about setting up in Digital Performer? I came from Propellerhead Reason. Reason was practically hook up your MIDI device, enable it from a drop down and play - a wonderful tool for someone who wants to make mock-ups or final audio renditions of compositions effortlessly. I'm long due for this upgrade to Digital Performer, which I have no doubt is arguably deeper than any other DAW out there. However, these very basic things are not "clicking" with me. Any help is very much appreciated, even if you can refer me to beginners source that doesn't assume I know so much, especially about the hardware hookup.

thanks
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
bayswater

Re: Beginning DP8 basic setup

Post by bayswater »

Hard to know where to start, but I'll try this: have you taken into account that you can't play an Instrument track (the way you might in Logic)? You play a MIDI track.

You have to create an Instrument track, and a MIDI track that uses the Instrument track as its output. You have to put the MIDI track into record status. Then when you play a MIDI device that your computer recognizes, you should see some MIDI activity happening in various places (like the MIDI Monitor), and hear the Instrument, assuming the output of the instrument is routed to an audio output you can monitor.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

comp15 wrote: Under MIDI Devices, the name of my MIDI keyboard wasn't on the list but I entered it.
It sounds as if the keyboard might not be present in the Audio MIDI Setup app. Are these devices there, configured, and connected? Does the MIDI monitor in DP (shift W) show an input? Also, what Bayswater said.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
comp15

Post by comp15 »

cuttime wrote:
comp15 wrote: Under MIDI Devices, the name of my MIDI keyboard wasn't on the list but I entered it.
It sounds as if the keyboard might not be present in the Audio MIDI Setup app. Are these devices there, configured, and connected? Does the MIDI monitor in DP (shift W) show an input? Also, what Bayswater said.

When I bring up the MIDI Monitor I see the audio interface listed. Under Software Devices, I see MIDI Keys listed. To the right of both of these I see dark boxes under numbers 1 through 16. The last box in line with the audio interface, under CORT, is blue.

Does this mean it's connected?

Since I can hear sound in the DP Practice file, wouldn't this mean it verifies the proper connection?
HARDWARE:
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
comp15

Post by comp15 »

bayswater wrote:Hard to know where to start, but I'll try this: have you taken into account that you can't play an Instrument track (the way you might in Logic)? You play a MIDI track.

You have to create an Instrument track, and a MIDI track that uses the Instrument track as its output. You have to put the MIDI track into record status. Then when you play a MIDI device that your computer recognizes, you should see some MIDI activity happening in various places (like the MIDI Monitor), and hear the Instrument, assuming the output of the instrument is routed to an audio output you can monitor.

Okay. Check. It's working. Thank you.
HARDWARE:

comp15

Post by comp15 »

comp15 wrote:
cuttime wrote:

When I bring up the MIDI Monitor I see the audio interface listed. Under Software Devices, I see MIDI Keys listed. To the right of both of these I see dark boxes under numbers 1 through 16. The last box in line with the audio interface, under CORT, is blue.

Does this mean it's connected?

Since I can hear sound in the DP Practice file, wouldn't this mean it verifies the proper connection?

Okay, MIDI is coming through and working. For clarity, back to what I stated above, as crudely as I describe it. Does the MIDI monitor sound like it's set up correctly? Should I see rows of black "boxes" next to the audio interface listed? I should also mention that each time I press a key on the keyboard I see the first box in the row activate in the color blue. This box is under Row 1. No matter which keys or how many keys I press, only this box highlights. Does this first box represent port 1?

Clearly I'll keep reading and watching. Thanks.
HARDWARE:

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

comp15 wrote: Should I see rows of black "boxes" next to the audio interface listed?
If your audio interface also has a MIDI port.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

comp15 wrote:
To the right of both of these I see dark boxes under numbers 1 through 16. The last box in line with the audio interface, under CORT, is blue.

I should also mention that each time I press a key on the keyboard I see the first box in the row activate in the color blue. This box is under Row 1. No matter which keys or how many keys I press, only this box highlights. Does this first box represent port 1?
Glad you got it working! The first box represents MIDI channel 1. If you change the transmit channel on your keyboard, the box should change.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Not sure why but I remember an Apple tech telling me that about three years ago they changed the USB protocol only allowing clean USB data standards. Since that time I have had to use a MTPAV MIDI interface and create a connection in Apple MIDI Setup to get MIDI to work. It used to work just from my USB M-Audio keyboard no problem. Don't know why things had to change at Apple. PITA for sure. I have had it suddenly work from USB for a while then stop with all the symptoms described here in this thread. I just gave up and made the setup. So far so good.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Timeline wrote:Not sure why but I remember an Apple tech telling me that about three years ago they changed the USB protocol only allowing clean USB data standards. Since that time I have had to use a MTPAV MIDI interface and create a connection in Apple MIDI Setup to get MIDI to work. It used to work just from my USB M-Audio keyboard no problem. Don't know why things had to change at Apple. PITA for sure. I have had it suddenly work from USB for a while then stop with all the symptoms described here in this thread. I just gave up and made the setup. So far so good.
There's a misunderstanding somewhere. Apple didn't change anything but the class standards for USB tightened up and developers had to catch up. iOS requires USB devices to be Class Compliant (so does Android but it's not followed as rigidly).

USB devices can be Class Compliant. These do not require third party drivers to work. Conversely, those devices that aren't Class Compliant require drivers to be installed.

So why isn't everything Class Compliant? There is a lot of functionality that can be designed into a piece of hardware (multi-channel audio, for example) that isn't supported by the USB Class spec -- for these devices to work as advertised, drivers must be designed and installed.

Add to that the confusion that is caused by some companies incorporating shortcuts in the firmware that ignore standards. This is fine in the short run but can make things difficult for their customers later. MAudio and JL Cooper have bad reputations in this regard.

Oh... Apple has nothing to do with the USB spec itself and neither do PC makers. A lot of what they can and cannot do is determined by how Intel implements it into their chip sets.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
comp15

Post by comp15 »

I'm trying to rewire Reason with DP. Here's what I've done:

1) I start DP
2) Create a stereo track (i've also tried these same steps creating an AUX track)
3) Choose the audio interface as the output
4) Select "ReasonMix L 1-Mix R 2 (stereo)" as my input
5) Record enable the track
6) Start Reason

Then I receive this error: "Could not connect to the reason engine. The Reason engine is already in use. Make sure you only run one instance of Reason."

I'm following the steps listed on page 281-282 in the DP User Guide. What might the problem be?

thanks
HARDWARE:

comp15

Post by comp15 »

I've also followed all the steps in this youtube video. I've disabled the MIDI keyboard within Reason. Now I am able to open Reason after DP, but after following the steps in this video, still no sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0WpavgaSyw

What am I missing?
HARDWARE:

comp15

Post by comp15 »

comp15 wrote:I've also followed all the steps in this youtube video. I've disabled the MIDI keyboard within Reason. Now I am able to open Reason after DP, but after following the steps in this video, still no sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0WpavgaSyw

What am I missing?

Okay, I'm answering my own questions by experimenting. I figured it out. I hear the rewired patches now. Apparently I was choosing the wrong MIDI instrument from the output drop down. For example, when I create, say a Violin in Reason, I see two "Violins" listed in the output drop down list in DP. Why are there two outputs listed, shouldn't there only be one? That could get confusing when I add many more instruments.
HARDWARE: