Bounce MIDI?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bounce MIDI?

Post by SixStringGeek »

I built a MIDI track using the arpeggiator that I really like. But of course the underlying MIDI data is just a bunch of notes held down. I would like to render the output of that to a new MIDI track that is just the data and I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Can be done without running cables?

Also...any nice way to do MIDI merge? I got a USB breath controller. It is its own MIDI device, I want to mix its output into the MIDI stream from my controller keyboard to control a synth but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make that happen. MIDI routing doesn't seem as flexible as audio routing as there aren't any 'buses'.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Tritonemusic

Re: Bounce MIDI?

Post by Tritonemusic »

Select the MIDI notes, then go to the Region menu and click on "Capture Realtime MIDI Effects..."
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Tritonemusic wrote:Select the MIDI notes, then go to the Region menu and click on "Capture Realtime MIDI Effects..."
Brilliant. Thanks! I wonder why it isn't also called "bouncing" or "rendering" like audio.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Never noticed that one. Cool!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey there, Geekster!

Dude, no need to worry about setting DP up for both controllers. In fact, it doesn't matter how many you end up using. DP routes whatever MIDI data you're spittin' out, no matter the source/s, to the channel you've selected on the track you've record-enabled.

Simple as that. IOW, sources and channels simply don't matter as DP collects and "re-channelises" them for you. Cool, eh?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That's the easy way.

You can also do this: go into Multi-record, route the output of the MIDI track with the effects to the IAC bus, and then record to a new MIDI track from the IAC bus.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8