Curious Window behavior

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Curious Window behavior

Post by cleamon »

I've stumble across a "feature" that I don't understand. I'm looking at a V-Rack's VI window and accidentally hit shift-cmd-v which on my system (normally) toggles between the mixer and the last used v-rack. In this case, it minimized the VI and the window name changed from

Effects: RackName : Instrument Name
to
Effects: Seqname : Track Name

So, when the mini-menu option 'View V-Rack' is checked, I see this:

When it's un-checked, I see this:

That weirdness aside, there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the VI's position in the rack, the the track's position (or output assignment) in the mixer OR which track insert is displayed. It's always the 1st track, but the insert [a-n] is seemingly random, but usually A or B.

Maybe I'm missing something, I fail to see the usefulness of this feature. MAYBE if it toggled between the VI and any MIDI track that has its output assigned to that VI, it could be useful. For example if I'm tweaking a MIDI insert effect, i.e. Velocity, and the VI's parameters, I could easily toggle back and forth between them. As it is, not so handy.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
bayswater

Re: Curious Window behavior

Post by bayswater »

Aren't you just seeing the difference between an effect window that shows an insert with an effect and an empty insert? Any effect window can show any loaded plugin by use of the drop down menus.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cleamon

Re: Curious Window behavior

Post by cleamon »

bayswater wrote:Aren't you just seeing the difference between an effect window that shows an insert with an effect and an empty insert? Any effect window can show any loaded plugin by use of the drop down menus.
Yes, I understand that. It's just that unlike using 'View v-rack' command key in your mixer, this option in an effects (VI) window does something (somewhat) unpredictable.
In your mixer, this command toggles between the mixer and the last v-rack viewed.
In an effects window (a VI specifically), it toggles between 2 (generally) un-related things. I expected it to toggle between the VI and the inserts for the track associated with the instrument. (too much to expect I guess). Regardless of which VI I'm viewing, it always toggles to the inserts for the first track. Sometimes showing Insert A, other times Insert B, etc.. No rhyme or reason.
I'm just saying it would be more useful if (at least) it toggled to the correct track (or any one of them (most recently viewed?) if there are more than one) rather than ALWAYS track one. It's why we have computers. :)
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram