What is the trick to editing loops in the sequence editor?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What is the trick to editing loops in the sequence editor?

Post by SixStringGeek »

Mostly my strategy for handling repeats has been to copy/paste. Today I thought I'd try to get better at loops.

Piano roll view. I selected a range and chose edit-insert loop and boom - made a loop. Turns out I need to change the number of repeats. I can see that little loop icon in the bottom left of where the loop starts.

However no amount of poking at it with any tool actually seems to select it. Apparently it is there purely for informational purposes. There's also a loop icon in the left most column of the tracks list. No amount of poking with various option keys down does anything with that either. Apparently it is entirely there for decoration as well.

The manual on page 359 says I should be able to just select the loop icon and its parameters will appear in an edit field. And this has happened to me by accident. Once. Over an hour ago. But I have two loops to change and I have spent the time since editing the previous loop trying to get a handle on this loop.

There has to be a better way to do this.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Michael Canavan

Re: What is the trick to editing loops in the sequence edito

Post by Michael Canavan »

Bump. As a Live and Logic user looping has always seemed awkward in DP to me. I would love to get schooled on this.

Mostly I loop, then convert to real audio or MIDI then copy paste. Live in particular is dead easy this way compared.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I never loop; always use the Repeat function, so I can retain basic structure while making random edits.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Select the loop. The number of loops is ALWAYS in the Event Information field at the top of the window. You'll see the start and endpoint of the loop, followed by a number. That number is the number of loops.

Sorry it's not more obvious. It's not like a dialog pops up. But it is there, and it always works. If you don't have your edit windows set to show Event Information, you may have trouble with that. You should add Event Information to your edit window headers.

There's not a lot to loops. They're either there or not. You use the Loop tool to drag in the timeline (just below it, actually) to select the data that gets looped. A gray area appears to tell you how far that loop extends. That's the end of it. The rest is deleting or changing the length. Or you can always delete it and start over if it gets confusing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

You can change it in the event list as well.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Shooshie wrote:Select the loop. The number of loops is ALWAYS in the Event Information field at the top of the window. You'll see the start and endpoint of the loop, followed by a number. That number is the number of loops.
Yeah - this - how? I cannot reliably select the loop. I keep clicking on things that look like loop symbols and nothing happens.

While most views show the loops, the only view where it seems I can reliably get a handle on it is the MIDI editor view (discovered after this post). I usually work in the Sequence view, occasionally in the tracks view. These both show the loop icon but no amount of gestures with the mouse seem to actually select in in there.

And now I have to go look up the difference between loops and repeats I guess.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

SixStringGeek wrote: Yeah - this - how? I cannot reliably select the loop. I keep clicking on things that look like loop symbols and nothing happens.

While most views show the loops, the only view where it seems I can reliably get a handle on it is the MIDI editor view (discovered after this post). I usually work in the Sequence view, occasionally in the tracks view. These both show the loop icon but no amount of gestures with the mouse seem to actually select in in there.

And now I have to go look up the difference between loops and repeats I guess.
OK so it doesn't work in the Track Overview window from what I can tell, but in the Sequence Editor if you select the far left side of the Loop icon you get the event information. Thanks again Shooshie for the information!

Funny because I do a lot of work in the TO I've always used the separate Event Editor window for messing around with Loops. These are minor things, but they mean a lot to people like me, it would be vary cool to be able to edit loops in the Event edit in the TO. One major improvement to using loops would be a way to convert the loop to real copies. This is possible in the other DAWs I've used, so it's not a 'selling' feature, and along with a few other things reminds me to make requests like this to MOTU directly.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.