Editing MIDI Instrument Output names

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
JZilla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Editing MIDI Instrument Output names

Post by JZilla »

Hey folks. I'm rebuilding my template with the new MAS version of VE Pro, and have a (hopefully) simple question. The big benefit appears to be that it's a multiport instrument, so no more Event Input, but the very slight downside so far is that the MIDI Output name ends up being really long and taking up a ton of screen real estate. So in my instance, it's "Vienna Ensemble Pro : AD Strings 05-Channel 01", etc.

Is there a way of editing that down to something a little more compact?

Thanks.
2019 MacPro, 10.15.5, 16 core 3.2 GHz, 384 GB RAM
DP 10.11
Kontakt 6.2.2, Spectrasonics, u-he, Arturia, NI Komplete 11, VE Pro
UAD, Waves, Soundtoys, Slate, FabFilter
frankf

Re: Editing MIDI Instrument Output names

Post by frankf »

Try shortening the Instrument Track name. That should help. I shorten my Kontakt instances track names to "KTStr1" etc and the MIDI outputs show as "KTStr1-1", "KTStr1-2", etc

You can also create a MIDI Device Group with a short name with only your instrument and channel as member of the group but that's a bit tedious.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Hey Frank, thanks for the quick reply. I'd thought of shortening the instrument track name, but since in my big template I have several libraries coming in on each section I still need to label them to help me keep track of what's what. I can shorten them and shave a few characters off, but it's really the "Vienna Ensemble Pro : " and "Channel 01" that I'd like to trim.
DP 10.11
frankf

Post by frankf »

Since DP has gone 64 bit, I no longer use VEP, but I still have projects where I was able to rename a VEP instrument track to VEP and it shows up with the abbreviation in the Track Overview MIDI track Output column. The MIDI channel shows as -1, -2, etc. I've been able to rename every VI instance this way so I can see them. Maybe I'm missing something.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

You can still rename the instrument tracks, but with the latest version of VE Pro it's a multiport instrument, and so you can have a ton of instruments within a VE instance without having to use the Event Input. Each of them show up with "Vienna Ensemble Pro : ", then the instrument track name, then "Channel 01" and so on, so it gets pretty lengthy.

I've got an email out to MOTU to see if there's a way around it, I'll report back what I find out.
DP 10.11
frankf

Post by frankf »

Got it, thanks for the information.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

If you go into VEP Pro/ preferences, sorry in bed on laptop and can't open for exact path, but you can select the number of outputs, ports down to the minimum settings, close and open VEP and it will no longer show the 01:01 addendum to the instrument channel.
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.