REX files and DP8...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

REX files and DP8...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I haven't done this for years...
I just cut some latin percussion loops with Recycle. I noticed that, when imported into DP, the slices will get further away from each other as I slow down the tempo, as expected.
I also notice that the slices will "show" an extra looped part reflecting the STRETCH setting I used in Recycle when saving it.

So the same cut loop was saved using 0%, 40% and 100% stretch.
When I import this into DP, the slices will still get further from each other as I slow down tempos, but that's when that extra saved stretch will kick in. The ones with 0% sound cut, the 40% sounds fine, and the ones with 100% stretch avoid those wholes in the sound.

But, WHERE does that extra stretched sound come from? I thought that was stored in the REX files themselves, but the 3 versions have the same file size. No difference between the 0% and 100% ones.
So is this info NOT stored in the REX file??
Is this something that is done in realtime, thus not affecting the size of the file?

The stretch parameter in Recycle is used to avoid gaps when the tempo gets slower, so how much stretch are you guys generally using for your percussion loops? Do you go as high as 100% if you plan on slowing down tempos by a lot?

I suppose the stretched part of the REX file ONLY kicks in when it is needed to fill voids according to the tempo, correct?
So if I save them with 100% stretch, then the stretched part will only sound enough to cover gaps for slow tempos but NOT affect the sound if the tempo is the same or higher?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: REX files and DP8...

Post by FMiguelez »

Bump
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman