DP Control won't work on my iPhone

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP Control won't work on my iPhone

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

I just started using an iPhone 4s. It has iOS version 8.1.3. DP Control, which works perfectly from my old iPod Touch, will not work on this iPhone. It downloaded successfully from the App Store, and starts up ok, but then quickly freezes up. I have disabled Bluetooth on the phone as required.

I'm connecting it to my 2012 MPB using an adhoc network. I'm running DP 8.07 on Mavericks (10.9.4). One of the main reasons I have not updated to Yosemite is because Yosemite does not allow one to secure an adhoc network with a password.

As mentioned, this all works perfectly with my old iPod Touch, but it's battery is dying, so I want to start using the iPhone. Do I need to downgrade my phone to an older iOS? Is this even possible? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Doug Tidwell
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control won't work on my iPhone

Post by James Steele »

There's another topic about this on the board. I only recently updated my iPad 2 to 8.1.3 (and then quickly downgraded to 8.1.2 so I could jailbreak it). So I'm using 8.1.2 and have had some success using DP Control with DP 8. A couple of things to check: make sure Bluetooth is off on your phone. That's known to cause some issues. Secondly, make sure you've checked the "Prevent App Nap" box in the "Get Info" dialog of the Digital Performer app. See if that helps any.

I'm using it on a MacBook running Mavericks and I stayed behind because of the same issue with adhoc networks (which I reported here). However, my ability to connect adhoc just mysteriously broke (I can't remember exact symptoms) so I threw up my hands and pressed an old WiFi router I had and dedicated it just devices that I'm connecting wirelessly to DP8. It's not that bad of a compromise. In some ways it's better. You don't have to manually set up a computer-to-computer network when you first boot the MacBook.

For example, my special closed "music only" router puts out the network name "STEELE" where has my normal home internet WiFi network has a different name. I set the order of "Preferred Networks" in the Network control panel in OSX System Prefs so that my MacBook first searches for "STEELE" and joins it automatically if available. If not, it moves on to the next WiFi network from the list, which is my normal home internet WiFi network.

So... it's simplified. You go into a club and first thing before you fire up the MacBook, you plug in the router. Then when you boot the laptop it automatically joins. You get the password capabilities of the router, PLUS you can prohibit MAC addresses of unknown devices so anybody who's curious and tries to join your network is just rejected before even being prompted for a password. I suppose you could also not broadcast the network name which would be even better. I'll have to try that.

Only refinement I need to make is check to see what flavor of 802.11 my router is. I think it may be so old that I should get a newer one capable of faster speeds and more responsiveness. I need to do some tests with DP Control now that I'm on iOS 8.1.2 on my iPad, but again, try the suggestions I made about Bluetooth and Prevent App Nap and see if it helps some.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
tommymandel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control won't work on my iPhone

Post by tommymandel »

Thank you, James, once again you :unicorn: are enlightening this corner of Gotham from sunnier spaces.
Here, with the 2 old 24i/o's welcoming a 2408mk3 and 4pre to replace a mixer with faders whose firewire has failed, I'm suddenly anticipating the need for some way to control the 50-something synth input channels :oops: into DP. So either DP Control on my iPhone4s (which works often but not always) or TouchOsc for iPad (controlling CueMix) come to mind. In reading your posts above, I see that where to stop upgrading iOS and MacOSX are important decisions. But I fear iOS6 and 10.6.8 may be a little too retro....We shall find out, and please send any other advice my way, if you see anything I may be missing. Thanks, as always.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"