Geist vst not working right on DP8.07

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Geist vst not working right on DP8.07

Post by dewdman42 »

Has anyone had any problems with VST's that they haven't had before? I haven't used it in a while so I'm not sure what I may have changed, like updating DP or what, but I pulled out the VST version of Geist today and while the plugin loads and seems to work, when hitting play it outputs nasty distorted noise. AU version works fine (but does not support MIDI out). The VST version works fine in Reaper, but does not work on DP8.07.

Thoughts?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Michael Canavan

Re: Geist vst not working right on DP8.07

Post by Michael Canavan »

It's working here in 8.07...
as a VSTi of course.
Oh the fun of figuring out now what is causing your issues. :x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I gave up on Geist about the same time I gave up on BPM (MOTU/UVI), so sorry I can't help. It was always a bit flakey in DP, which is one of the reasons why I stopped using it.

I use Maschine, and apart from a bug with window scrolling in DP yet to be fixed by NI/MOTU (see my other posts on that), I have found it to be worth the investment of time and money. (I just have the Micro controller, and the full, latest, studio).
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

man. Nobody on Fxpansion forum has any idea about this either. The weird thing is the VST version works great on Reaper, so I guess nothing wrong with the VST, and I know I used to used it in DP too... arggg...

I'd love to mess with maschine, but its kind of pricey I guess and I'm not enough of an MPK head to make the purchase. I got Geist on sale and it does the job well, the only thing is MIDI out only works in the VST version.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Maschine is a big step up from both Geist and BPM. It took me awhile to get used to its quirky way of working, but it is a very versatile and fully functioning tool. I often use it stand-alone as a scratch pad, because it is a fully-fledged host in its own right. I barely use the controller - preferring to use the software interface for almost everything, hence sticking with the (first generation) Micro controller. Lots of good library material too.

Sorry I can't help on Geist. Have you contacted Fxpansion's support?
I always found them to be terrific.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

If I was doing more beat production on a regular basis I would totally consider it. I keep hearing good things.

calling fxpansion support, what a concept. maybe I will do that. Have been trying the forums first hoping it was something others have experienced too, but doesn't sound like it and I expect it will not be easy to solve
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

well problem solved, but not sure how. Maybe its related to my SSD drive. The Samsung EVO 840 has some reported performance issues apparently and there is this DOS utility you have to run that somehow resets the drive back to good performance. After I did that, Geist VST seems to work ok. I have no idea if that is what fixed it or just circumstantial. If that fixed it then it would imply that AU has better caching in some way then VST does and perhaps VST version is reading direct from the disk in some way that would be negatively impacted by the SSD problem.

Anyway, problem is resolved.

I will still keep Maschine in mind though, your comments are noted BK...