DP upgrade timing... DP9 was announced but?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP upgrade timing... DP9 was announced but?

Post by HobbyCore »

So, I'm on DP6, which seems to be widely regarded as an awful version.

Due to the changes in my clients and workflow, I've started to become somewhat frustrated with DP. I do get fairly frequent issues as well with the version I'm using. I'm completely willing to give a new version a try, but this is where I'm stumbling... and it has me stumbling to trying other DAWs.

DP9 was announced, but if I upgrade now I may have to upgrade twice? DP6->8 then DP8->9?

Has anyone seen any information about this? What has been the grace period in the past? Is there any chance that if I upgraded to 8 now, that I would get v9 for free?
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP upgrade timing... DP9 was announced but?

Post by stubbsonic »

IMO, I think it would be hard to predict how long it will be before v9 is released.

Though they might have a standard time window for the free upgrade for recent purchases (I don't know what that window usually is).

What OS are you currently using? And what kind of work do you do? It might be worth at least bumping up to v7 which was very stable-- especially if you are in OS 10.6.8 (snow leopard).

You might be able to call up MOTU sales and work something out.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

I do plan on contacting support soon, but I figured I'd get some insight here first so I have an idea of what's occurred in the past with this sort of thing.

I am on 10.6.8, but I'm willing to move to yosemite. My second production machine is on yosemite and I'd actually prefer to move to that system for my main work.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

This is the endless quandary with so much software., but when you're two versions behind and having issues waiting can be self-defeating. Just sayin'
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HobbyCore wrote:So, I'm on DP6, which seems to be widely regarded as an awful version.

Due to the changes in my clients and workflow, I've started to become somewhat frustrated with DP. I do get fairly frequent issues as well with the version I'm using. I'm completely willing to give a new version a try, but this is where I'm stumbling... and it has me stumbling to trying other DAWs.

DP9 was announced, but if I upgrade now I may have to upgrade twice? DP6->8 then DP8->9?

Has anyone seen any information about this? What has been the grace period in the past? Is there any chance that if I upgraded to 8 now, that I would get v9 for free?

Are you upgrading OS X? If so, you should be upgrading DP, also. To upgrade one without the other is to invite trouble.

Also, DP 6 is the 2nd worst version in DP history, IMO, the worst being 4.0. You are a victim of some corollary of the Peter Principle. You reached a failure — a version of DP that does not work well, and does not look good — so you stopped there. Did it not occur to you that MOTU probably answered people's complaints with fixes and features? You couldn't pay me enough money to use version 6.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

@HobbyCore:
I empathise with you because your situation looks a lot like mine did in the near past.

I won't bore you with details, but my advice to you would be to clear all doubt from your mind and simply jump and upgrade your OS and DP to the latest versions. Like we say here> Do it "en caliente" .

I can't tell you how much time I wasted wondering, doubting, finding issues or excuses not to upgrade, etc. Listen to the guys upthread. I did listen to them after a while and finally upgraded everything, but I regret not having done so much sooner. You are missing so many AWESOME DP and OS features, particularly with the former. It's like a different app.

As usual, to protect yourself and attain peace of mind, clone your current system to another disk before you upgrade. Then, start from scratch and begin the upgrade (from a clean freshly-reformatted disk). Test your new setup, and when you're satisfied everything works, as we trust it will, nuke it and use it for something else.

Perhaps you can call MOTU and ask them about your concern of not having to pay for upgrades twice. I'm sure you can work something out with them.

Just do it!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You CAN request a copy of DP 7.24 when you order v8.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I've had some trouble with DP8 and OS 10.9.

DP 7.24 and OS 10.6.8 are a VERY safe bet, IMHO.

So you could put DP8 on your main drive, but keep a 10.6.8 boot drive and run DP 7.24 on there. If you run into trouble with the DP8 or the OS, you'd have a very safe and stable setup as an alternative. YMMV
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

Shooshie wrote:
HobbyCore wrote:So, I'm on DP6, which seems to be widely regarded as an awful version.

Are you upgrading OS X? If so, you should be upgrading DP, also. To upgrade one without the other is to invite trouble.

Also, DP 6 is the 2nd worst version in DP history, IMO, the worst being 4.0. You are a victim of some corollary of the Peter Principle. You reached a failure — a version of DP that does not work well, and does not look good — so you stopped there. Did it not occur to you that MOTU probably answered people's complaints with fixes and features? You couldn't pay me enough money to use version 6.

Shooshie
I actually stopped upgrading because I became rather busy and my workflow/clients have been changing so much in the last 2 years that it was difficult for me to objectively evaluate my needs.

I wasn't even aware, until I started visiting this forum again, that people looked so poorly upon DP6. It certainly would explain my feelings about it. :banghead:

I will contact Motu now. Thank you for the advice everyone!
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

MagicDave has told me that if I purchase DP8 now, there will be no charge for the DP9 upgrade!

Well, looks like I have some work to do! :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis

Which would indicate that DP 9 can't be far off! Thanks for the update.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

Also worth mentioning that MagicDave responded in 3 minutes, at nearly 6pm. It didn't even hit me until now.

:!:
MIDI Life Crisis

He lives there... or so it seems. And he's great as are the other guys at MOTU. Another reason I ALWAYS upgrade. Support the folks who really care about their work - and yours!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

That is good news! Sounds like they're on a easy track to the spring release.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gravity Jim wrote:That is good news! Sounds like they're on a easy track to the spring release.
That would be great. I'm as usual more excited by the unannounced little fixes here and there than the big new features, but part of that depends on a few things, like if the spectral display adds in the ability to selectively erase parts like in Iris etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HobbyCore wrote:I wasn't even aware, until I started visiting this forum again, that people looked so poorly upon DP6. It certainly would explain my feelings about it. :banghead:
Yeah. I always wince when I see someone preface a post by saying they're using DP6. DP6 was rough. Let's put it this way. DP6 was about the only time since SVP was around, that I started to mull the *remote* possibility that I ought to have a backup plan just in case. It was what prompted me to buy Logic Express, try that out for a while, and then decide to forget about switching and just pray hard that MOTU would fix things soon. They did. DP 7.24 is a really great version, although I'm pretty happy with DP8 right now and you MUST have DP8 if you want to run DP as a 64-bit app and break the 4GB RAM barrier. It also just seems to run better in 64bit IMHO.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!