DP upgrade timing... DP9 was announced but?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP upgrade timing... DP9 was announced but?

Post by mikehalloran »

Nice to see that His Magicness has confirmed what DP normally does after they announce the new version.

Btw, he confirmed the same for me (and others) when DP 8 was announced. I got 7.24 immediately and DP 8 seven or eight months later. I did have to send them an email about a week after 8 started shipping but everything worked out well and I received 8 at no additional charge.

I had a few growing pains when I updated from DP 5 (I had 6 but didn't like it). We got it all sorted out and everything now works great. I really like DP 8 and look forward to DP 9.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

What everyone else is pointing out Hobby Core.
You're in the absolute best window to upgrade. You'll get DP9 for free when it comes out, and most bugs etc. have been worked out of DP8, so you'll see an exponential increase in stability with the upgrade to DP8, plus upgrading to DP9 at your leisure. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by HobbyCore »

Well, proud new owner of DP8.

Hopefully this irons out a lot of the issues I've had that have made me so whiny lately. :surrender:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Ya think? Enjoy the PDF manual.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Ya think? Enjoy the PDF manual.
Oh yea!

There are a few search functions but that you can search at all is a huge time saver. Figure out a word that applies to something – let's take nudge for example. Type it into the Search window of the Digital Performer User Guide.pdf (selecting it from the DP 8 Help menu opens it in Preview). You see immediately that it appears on 18 pages – your arrow keys can flip through those pages in a couple of seconds till you find the page you want.

Dropping Digital Performer User Guide.pdf onto a Chrome browser window gives you other useful search capabilities including multiple word search.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Better yet, copy the PDF to an easily accessible location (save as or Finder copy) and access it even when DP is not running.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've got my PDF manuals all in a folder, and I dragged the folder into the margin of a Finder Window, which makes it always available in any window. Just click the DP Manuals folder icon in the left margin, and Voilá, manuals! If I know where to look, I can just use QuickLook in the Finder to open the manual. But that doesn't allow any search features, so I usually open it in Preview.

There is one hazard to opening a DP PDF manual this way: unless you have set some kind of alarm, it's easy to keep on browsing the manual for interesting factoids until the sun comes up.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I absolutely LOVE DP8; the latest version is running solo sweet under final version of Mountain Lion for me. Best version ever IMHO.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

My manual in the right side of the dock with a DP logo pasted into its icon. It is always sitting in two page full screen view in it's own Space when DP is running.

Multiple word searches: In Preview, if you enter, for example, setup menu you get pages that have both words somewhere on the page. If you enter "setup menu" you get pages with that phrase. What other multiple word searches does Chrome do? Can it do boolean searches?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
theprez

Post by theprez »

I was told by MOTU support just this week that if I upgraded to 8 now, 9 would be free.
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by HobbyCore »

HCMarkus wrote:I absolutely LOVE DP8; the latest version is running solo sweet under final version of Mountain Lion for me. Best version ever IMHO.
I'm not even a week in, and I'm very happy with it so far.
MIDI Life Crisis

We like happy. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
theprez

Post by theprez »

I'm just 1 day, but so far, DP8 w/Yosemite 10.10.2 is purring.