2408 mk3 noise

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
sergiosacoto
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2408 mk3 noise

Post by sergiosacoto »

Hi!
I’m writing from Ecuador-South America. Mi name is Sergio Sacoto and I have a 2408mk3 with 424e, it has been the main audio interface of my production studio since 2006 and I have never experienced any kind of trouble since recently.
A month ago I noticed a strong hum electric noise coming thru the summing entrance of my Dangerous Music D Box (this is the 2408 analog out 1 to 8 )
I tried al kinds of things to get rid of the noise but I couldn’t find the source of it, finally I connected another audio interface and the noise was gone, is definitely coming from the 2408 mk3.
Do you have any suggestion on what the noise could be? Could it has something to do with the PCI card? I have a 2 x2.4 Quad Core Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.9.5
Thanks in advice

Sergio Sacoto Arias
@sergiosacoto
Shooshie

Re: 2408 mk3 noise

Post by Shooshie »

Have you changed the way your units were plugged in? Did you move them? Could you have moved a plug from one wall to another?

I'm just exploring the possibility that an incorrectly wired outlet could be causing a ground loop. Alternatively, an electronic component could be wearing out, or the wires in the transformer may be coming loose from the tape or glue that holds them in place... there are many possibilities. You might see if someone could repair it for you. That sounds like the kind of part that could be replaced. If not... the unit is probably not going to last much longer.

Are you sure it's not the fan? I don't even remember if the 2408 has a fan. I've had to replace the fan in at least one of my MOTU units, but I think it was the 1296.

Sorry to hear that it's having trouble. I've got MOTU hardware that's over 15 years old, still working fine other than a fan replacement or two. Most of their stuff has been very durable.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
sergiosacoto

Re: 2408 mk3 noise

Post by sergiosacoto »

Hi Shoosie!

Thank you for your reply!
I did change the unit, moved it, tried different sockets, the thing is that I've been using this unit in the same location with no changes for about 2 years, and the problem appear only a month ago. I think the most probable situation is the "component wearing out" with all it's ramifications and possibilities . Not sure about the fan!!
I guess I should try to get a technician to give it a try.
Thanks again for your response!

Sergio