Playback glitch with Conductor track events

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Playback glitch with Conductor track events

Post by emjayinla »

Greetings,

Whenever I have a change in the conductor track, either time signature or tempo change, I get a little glitch during playback. I'm using VE Pro with Kontakt 5 as well as some instruments in my V-rack. According to the Activity monitor I'm only using about 50% of my wired memory.

So here's what's weird. If I record my output to a single stereo pair, solo the audio and playback, I get the glitches. If I create a new conductor take without any changes the audio plays back clean. I've already tried increasing my buffer but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Playback glitch with Conductor track events

Post by Tritonemusic »

Which version of DP are you using? What kind of computer? Which OS? How much RAM? What kind of hard drive? What is your Buffer set to? The more info you can provide, the more likely it is that someone can help you.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by emjayinla »

Fair enough - mac mini i7 16 gig ram, DP8.07, Mavericks, buffer set to 1028 - up from 256, VEP v4, Samples on a separate USB 3 drive, project files on a separate USB 3 drive as well (only system and apps on the internal drive)

the one thing I haven't tried is playing an audio track back in a different project with and without conductor track changes .. maybe get to that tomorrow.

Cheers
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Same issue here with me.

I have a ton of a ton of VIs loaded into Mach5 (3 instances completely full) and Kontakt (2 instances completely full). When I hit a tempo change, the Processing Monitor spikes hard right to RED. My assumption is that the amount of VIs I'm running has something to do with this, although, even when the tempo change occurs during silence (no VIs or Audio running), the meter still spikes. Of course, when there are VIs running, there is an audible glitch in playback.

Any ideas? Buffer is increased, 32GB RAM, VIs streaming from external thunderbolt SSD.
DP 11, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Aaron Guidry wrote:Buffer is increased, 32GB RAM, VIs streaming from external thunderbolt SSD.
How MUCH buffer? I'd keep raising it until it stops redlining on any command.

Just yesterday I was changing mixes in a fairly large file, and the thing froze up on me. Maybe it eventually would have gotten past the spinning beach ball, but I grew weary and restarted. That's when I remembered that I had been tracking a few days ago with the buffer set to 64. Just bringing it up to 256 made everything run amazingly better. It had been taking minutes to load Vienna VIs, with distorted notes on playback, and blurred reverb. After raising the buffer, it changed mixes instantly, and reloaded the VIs in seconds. I've often worked with buffers of 1024 or greater. Kinda sucks when waiting for it to start after pushing the button, but only a little bit, and that beats by a mile the alternative of reconstructing unsaved changed after a freeze due to inadequate CPU time.

These days, 256 or 512 will handle what used to take 1024 or more.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

I'm maxed out on the buffer at 1024. Saving, even after only one tiny edit, brings up the beach ball for at least 10 seconds. I guess there's just too much info in the project?! Smaller projects have no issues. It only starts occurring when I add more and more VIs and Instances.
DP 11, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1