Click when song starts (?)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dpg4macman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Click when song starts (?)

Post by dpg4macman »

Hello all, I'm having an issue where when I start a sequence I will hear a click sound. This will also translate into a bounce. It is intermittent and becoming frustrating to me. I checked my set up and everything is good. I'm guessing it's some third party plugin. Anyone else having this concern?

Thanks for replies in advance,

mvh
mhschmieder

Re: Click when song starts (?)

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, by "click" do you mean a momentary spike, something fuzzy, white noise, or a brief high-pitched "note"? If you can characterize the sound you're hearing a little better, it may help in identifying the cause.

If you have pre-rendering set to "on" in your user preferences, you MAY be hearing the flushing out of a buffer from whatever you did last.

That's my only speculation for now; I'm tired from a long day. I had other ideas but they've already escaped me.

The "intermittent" thing leads me to think that it may be something other than pre-render going on though.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

I unchecked pre-render and it still acted up. I bypassed all effects and processors. Never did figure it out. It was coming from a track where there was no audio - strange. I automated a mute on that track in the beginning and that solved it.

Thanks for the help

mvh
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yup. The automation route is a way around it.

FWIMBW, if you don't leave much space before audio begins at the start of your sequence / bounce selection, you might want to try allowing a little more, just to ensure that plugs and VIs have a chance to "settle in". A bar should easily do it.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here