Tools don't switch

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Gingau
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tools don't switch

Post by Gingau »

I can't get the pencil or brush tool either by the keyboard command or the tool pallet; it remains as the pointer tool, both in sequence and drum editor.

I was able to record from a MIDI keyboard, and it plays back but I can't find the notes. I've scrolled, zoomed, and looked in event list.

There must be some simple dialogue I've missed that won't allow me to input or see MIDI notes. Any ideas?

DP8.07 X10.7.5
In process of updating a 2007 iMac to a 2017 iMacPro
High Sierra
Shooshie

Re: Tools don't switch

Post by Shooshie »

Tools don't show up if there is nothing for them to operate on.

You've got the View Filter set to hide everything. It probably happened while you were either expecting to search or apply a fade by hitting Command-F. Then, the next move you made accidentally set the filter to hide everything.

Just open the View Filter and restore to normal.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gingau

Re: Can't access notes

Post by Gingau »

Thanks Shooshie
That’d be the perfect solution, except that Notes is selected in Global, and everything is selected in Event List.

Same thing happens in step record. MIDI-Drum is the chosen track which is also open in Drum Editor. Clicking on the step (beat / measure) does not add a visible note, even though the step click is audible. With auto step I can hear the note with the click and see the drum module react, but I see no note in the sequence. Playback reveals they are there. Why are they invisible including note selection being greyed out in the event list?

Also noticing the pencil tool does work in cc grid, but not in note grid. Same with arrow/lasso. Dragging the beam tool in time line selects cc grid, but not note grid. Pitch bend, Controller, Mode (choices greyed), Track Mute are each visible/editable in Events and MIDI Editor. But no access to notes (in various projects).

So now it seems that the note/drum grid is not working or responding to anything, tho the cc grid is.
It really would help to see and edit the notes I’m entering.
High Sierra
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, maybe instead of the View Filter, you need to correct the Input Filter.

Beyond that, it could be related to things outside of DP, such as mouse drivers, OS X anomalies, and so forth. Every day, I experience things like the mouse cursor (arrow, pointer, whatever) disappearing, clicks not working, and other temporary problems, completely unrelated to DP, though they can happen anywhere, including DP.

That's not generally a DP bug, at least not that I've seen.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gingau

Post by Gingau »

Again, I appreciate your consideration of this problem.
Input filter also looks good.

Guess it’s time to try a reinstall. Any good links for tips on unin/reinstalling?

I’ve also been setting up for upgrades of both 8.5 and 10.2 for this almost mothballed 2007 iMac, so I’ll give it a whirl in both those.
Once I do that I’ll post any changes.

As an overview:
Can’t input notes in drum or MIDI grid with pencil or brush tools.
Can hear but can’t see/access notes in any module when recording with MIDI keyboard or by step.
CC grid responds to tools, note grid does not
High Sierra
Gingau

Re: Can't access notes

Post by Gingau »

Alright! I upgraded to OS X 8.5 (for various reasons, & not to X.10 for various others) and then reinstalled DP8 and voilà I can once again insert & edit notes. The upgrade no doubt cleared up some inconsistencies in the old operating system which could have affected DP's performance, but there's nothing like a reinstall to set wayward code straight. Now appropriate tools work in both note and CC grids.
High Sierra