Controller Issues—Suggestions Welcome

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Controller Issues—Suggestions Welcome

Post by Rick Cornish »

(This is a follow-up to a previous post, but much has happened since then, so I'll start anew.)

Hey folks.......
I have a Novation Impulse 61 and am using DP8.07 on a Mac Pro running Mavericks. I'm also running Automap 4.9.2 (beta). USB cable from keyboard is plugged directly into my Mac Pro (NOT going through a hub).

While I'm working with a VI (that's ANY VI—MachFive3, Kontakt, Stylus RMX, Trillian, etc.), the Impulse will lose all connection with DP. This happens often (like every 5-10 minutes. This seems to happen most often when there's a lot of MIDI data going from the controller to DP (after playing a fast group of notes or using the mod or pitch wheel). The only way I've been able to re-connect is to open Audio MIDI Setup and click on "Rescan MIDI".

Worked with Novation Support to…
1. Optimize my system per their recommendations
2. Re-Install firmware for my controller
3. Upgrade to a new/beta version of AutoMap (v4.9.2)
4. Run MIDI Monitor and sent them reports showing MIDI activity when I lost connection

I have not received a response to my TechLink from MOTU, left a follow-up today.

The Impulse has previously worked solidly with DP. This has only been an issue since I updated to DP8.07.

Could there be a setting in DP that is echoing MIDI data back to the Impulse and creating this problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Re: Controller Issues—Suggestions Welcome

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Patch Thru might do it, but presumably you have Local Control turned off on your keyboard.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, Bayswater. Good suggestion, but since I'm running a controller and not a synth, I don't think there's anything to control locally, though I'll still look into it when I'm back in studio tomorrow. On advice from my IT guy, I tried communicating with a different MIDI app (a standalone VI) and had the same issue, so I think that effectively eliminates DP as the problem.

If anyone else has a suggestion, it'd be welcome. Thanks again.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Try MIDI monitor just to see if there's something being transmitted that shouldn't be, etc.
That's the first thing I reach for when MIDI troubleshooting.

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks for the reply, Phil!

I downloaded MIDI Monitor at the suggestion of one of the Novation support reps I've been e-mailing with. I'm not sure what it's telling me, but I see a steady string of Note On messages from Automap HUI (channel 1, C-2 127). Is this normal?
Rick Cornish

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Rick Cornish wrote:Thanks for the reply, Phil!

I downloaded MIDI Monitor at the suggestion of one of the Novation support reps I've been e-mailing with. I'm not sure what it's telling me, but I see a steady string of Note On messages from Automap HUI (channel 1, C-2 127). Is this normal?
I have no idea what the Automap thing even is, but what you're seeing seems like something to discuss with their tech support.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Just FYI; AutoMap is Novation's controller mapping software that enables the keyboard to control DP and my plug-ins.

Thanks again.
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

A steady string of note on messages when no key is being pressed down? That doesn't sound right.
leigh

Post by leigh »

I think it might be a normal "keep-alive" part of the HUI protocol especially if C-2 is the really low C. Maybe check the HUI spec?

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

leigh wrote:

I think it might be a normal "keep-alive" part of the HUI protocol especially if C-2 is the really low C. Maybe check the HUI spec?

**Leigh
That would be active sensing? Active sensing messages use only a status byte coded as "11111110". MIDI Monitor shouldn't be confusing that for a Note on message.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

This doesn't seem right to me, either… but I'm no expert in looking at MIDI data.
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote:This doesn't seem right to me, either… but I'm no expert in looking at MIDI data.
Does MIDI Monitor otherwise show what you expect to see as you play notes and move the controllers? Which Note On is happening all the time? What happens if you tap that key?
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

The Note On messages are coming from AutoMap HUI. When I quit AutoMap, they stop.

Also just discovered that—after I quit AutoMap—Impulse ***seems*** to stay connected to DP… though I will need to test longer to be sure.
Rick Cornish

David_Focusrite

Post by David_Focusrite »

Hi Rick,

Please let me know the results after testing without Automap, so that I can update your support case and provide the proper next course of action!

Best,

David // Focusrite Technical Support
dreamuse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dreamuse »

I've been researching controllers, with Novation specifically and came across this thread.

Looking at Automap 4's page, it's not listing DP as one of the workstations it's tight with. I've seen elsewhere that Novation will communicate via HUI, but am wondering: Are DP users seeing full Automap functionality at this time? Like I'm sure about 80% pf the people here, I'm specifically interested in being able to ideally lay hands on the surface with the most-relevant VI/plug parameters (hopefully) loaded on the surface, ready to be tweaked.

Also, are the faders (I'm looking at the SL series) intuitive enough without being motorized to easily write automation? I've seen elsewhere the the software's smart enough to pick up at certain levels, but want to confirm this to be the case.

Thanks much,

Len
2013 Trashcan, 12 core, 10.14.6, 64GB RAM,
http://www.uncannymusic.com