Can DP Print out it’s Undo History?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by toodamnhip »

If not,this would be a “no-brainer” addition.
For remote clients that are being billed studio time, and for many other documentations, this could be an invaluable document to be able to print.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Can DP Print out it’s Undo History?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You can always do a screenshot of the window in PREVIEW and print that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You can always do a screenshot of the window in PREVIEW and print that.
Yes but for several days of history or more, this would become quite cumbersome. Seems DP programmers could add this easily
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

[
toodamnhip wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You can always do a screenshot of the window in PREVIEW and print that.
Yes but for several days of history or more, this would become quite cumbersome. Seems DP programmers could add this easily
True -- but they haven't. I tried to see if there was any other way to do what you want but Print Window is greyed out.

Grab the right lower corner of the window and drag to show the info you need. Using Preview, you can save a screen shot as a .pdf and email or print.

I use Acrobat Pro 10 to consolidate the pages into a single document (it's old but updates have nothing I need). There are other ways to combine multiple pages in a single document but that's the easiest.

If you want to mark up .pdf pages easily, there's an open source freeware called Skim. Designed originally to mark up scientific papers, I use it to highlight and comment on invoices etc. Since you mentioned that you were interested for time billing, this may come in handy.

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I use Acrobat Pro 10 to consolidate the pages into a single document If you want to mark up .pdf pages easily, there's an open source freeware called Skim.
You can do both with Preview. But back to TDH's point, it's all pretty impractical for something like the Undo history which is likely to be very long by the end of a project.

Maybe the info in the history is stored in a way that makes it accessible somehow so it can be brought into something like Textwrangler.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There are time keeping apps for billing. I'd recommend one but I never charge buy the hour. - only fee based.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can do both with Preview.
Yep, you sure can. Skim and Acrobat Pro X mean you don't have to. I work with .pdf files that have to be combined and marked every day. I like tools that save me lots of time.
There are time keeping apps for billing.
Oh yea. We use an old FileMaker template that I've kept up to date over the years but there are a ton of ways. If you use QuickBooks, there are inexpensive 3rd party modules including some that are online.
Maybe the info in the history is stored in a way that makes it accessible somehow so it can be brought into something like Textwrangler.
Perhaps. I tried everything I could think of without success.

There is a Print Window command available but it is greyed out. It shouldn't take much to make it accessible I would think.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
Perhaps. I tried everything I could think of without success.
I found it in a small project, but it has a lot of binary in it and appears spread out all over the file. Probably someone really keen with a lot of time could write a utility that extracts it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Sounds like something that could easily be added as an upgrade, maybe motu has never thought of this. Can be very important when a client asks "what did you do for the last 40 hours"? The way I would use it, would be to do a save as PDF before clearing and do history and then I would have the data in a folder in case a client had questions. If a client had questions, I would print out or email them the undue historyCome on motu, upgrade DP to include this.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13