Snap Shot automation Broken in Waves V9- DP 8 and DP 9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Snap Shot automation Broken in Waves V9- DP 8 and DP 9

Post by Phil O »

TDH, what bothers me is that MOTU cannot duplicate this problem. Perhaps someone with an extra hard drive could make a boot drive with clean install of just OS, DP, and Waves plugins and see if the problem still exists. In other words, let's try to duplicate what MOTU is seeing. Perhaps there's other software at work here or something else that we're missing.
You commented somewhere that you couldn't believe MOTU cannot reproduce this. Well there are only two possibilities that I see. There's something different at their end, or they're full of ______. Let's see if we can determine which.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Phil O wrote:TDH, what bothers me is that MOTU cannot duplicate this problem. Perhaps someone with an extra hard drive could make a boot drive with clean install of just OS, DP, and Waves plugins and see if the problem still exists. In other words, let's try to duplicate what MOTU is seeing. Perhaps there's other software at work here or something else that we're missing.
You commented somewhere that you couldn't believe MOTU cannot reproduce this. Well there are only two possibilities that I see. There's something different at their end, or they're full of ______. Let's see if we can determine which.

Phil
Someone said this? MOTU has been able to replicate every problem I've sent them, and Waves are far from the only plug in manufacturer who are affected with this bug. Definitely time to send in a bug report myself on this one. :?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stratology

Re: Snap Shot automation Broken in Waves V9r24, , DP 8.06, O

Post by stratology »

Shooshie wrote:Since it evolved over the years, there were many patches and back-door connections that had to be rediscovered, examined, and translated into object oriented programming. The odds of getting all that correct even in the first several releases since going 64 bit would be approximately 00.00%.
Just to clarify, 64bit memory addressing has nothing whatsoever to do with object oriented programming. The vast majority of 32bit programs were written in object oriented, rather than procedural, languages. Especially complex apps like DAWs.

Regardless, the point you're trying to make is valid, of course.

Shooshie wrote: The case of the snapshot automation isn't at all like changing a tire while driving the car. Not at all! It's more like copying a region of a spreadsheet and pasting it elsewhere, which is something that every spreadsheet has to do perfectly, every time. Why would we not expect DP to do that? After all, a DAW is basically a 4 dimensional spreadsheet.

I think a better analogy is switching a plug-in preset during playback. Which is a very basic task. And the 'saving' of the preset (taking the snapshot) does not even have to be done while playback is running.

It seems to work with DP's native plug-ins, so expecting it to work with 3rd party plug-ins is not unreasonable.
Shooshie

Re: Snap Shot automation Broken in Waves V9r24, , DP 8.06, O

Post by Shooshie »

stratology wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Since it evolved over the years, there were many patches and back-door connections that had to be rediscovered, examined, and translated into object oriented programming. The odds of getting all that correct even in the first several releases since going 64 bit would be approximately 00.00%.
Just to clarify, 64bit memory addressing has nothing whatsoever to do with object oriented programming. The vast majority of 32bit programs were written in object oriented, rather than procedural, languages. Especially complex apps like DAWs.

Regardless, the point you're trying to make is valid, of course.
The ability to go to 64 bit addressing in OS X was predicated on using Cocoa, an object oriented environment that could use Objective C, C++ and perhaps some other languages, but not the "Carbon" based procedural languages that were originally supposed to be a part of this transition. Apple withdrew that support late in the game leaving many developers, MOTU included, scurrying to rewrite their apps in the Cocoa environment. I didn't suggest that 64 bit addressing is a result of using object oriented code, but in the case of OS X, the two are not unrelated. While Apple was originally going to allow developers to grandfather their plain C code into OS X 64 bit addressing using Carbon, they changed their mind and made it Cocoa-only. Cocoa is object-oriented, so in OS X object oriented code was inescapable if you were going to develop your app for 64 bit addressing, though not because of technical dependencies. It was just a decision made by Apple, which may have been arbitrary or it may have been founded on engineering across iOS platforms, or other reasons.

Those memories are all fading now, but even though MOTU didn't publicize it, it was generally believed that they had to rewrite DP from top to bottom using Cocoa once Apple jerked the rug out from under them by dropping Carbon support late in the game. If my memory is correct, DP was being developed in C before that point.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

We can't get Waves 10 plugs to do snapshot automation at all. (DP9.52) Any luck with any of you others??? Very discouraging
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

labman wrote:We can't get Waves 10 plugs to do snapshot automation at all. (DP9.52) Any luck with any of you others??? Very discouraging
Anything you don’t manually manipulate before hitting snap shot, will not register in DP. There seems to be a disconnect between the graphics level, and the internal registry that monitors setting in DP> So the solution is to double click any numeric parameter, and the hit tab to tab through all numeric parameters. This registers them with Das internal engine and snap shot can work. Some plug ins will still not work no matter what then, but waves is pretty good if you tab through. Good luck.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

toodamnhip wrote:
labman wrote:We can't get Waves 10 plugs to do snapshot automation at all. (DP9.52) Any luck with any of you others??? Very discouraging
Anything you don’t manually manipulate before hitting snap shot, will not register in DP. There seems to be a disconnect between the graphics level, and the internal registry that monitors setting in DP> So the solution is to double click any numeric parameter, and the hit tab to tab through all numeric parameters. This registers them with Das internal engine and snap shot can work. Some plug ins will still not work no matter what then, but waves is pretty good if you tab through. Good luck.
OMG :shake:

Is MOTU even aware of this? This is quite a bug!

Last time I checked, DP still gives and EXPECTS from the user non-sensical and disparate parameter amounts when manually seeing/entering values in its number boxes to tweak Waves plugins.

This makes it impossible to dial in parameters.

Is it still doing this?

:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

toodamnhip wrote:snip.... So the solution is to double click any numeric parameter, and the hit tab to tab through all numeric parameters.
Thank you TDH. we will give that go!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.