Snap Shot automation Broken in Waves V9- DP 8 and DP 9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Snap Shot automation Broken in Waves V9- DP 8 and DP 9

Post by toodamnhip »

DP Snap shot automation Broken in Waves Waves_Complete_V9r24, , DP 8.06, OS 10.10.2
I just did a clean re-install of Waves and had DP re examined DP’s AU cache.
I installed using the offline installer for Yosemite, as the website instructed.
I also just completed upgrading to OS 10.10.2, Yosemite.
This is as clean as I am able to get a system before running Waves.

I created a brand new DP file.

On initial tests, it appears that Waves plug ins, when they do work, will only succeed in the initial snap shot automation in DP>
After the initial snap shot,the plug ins will not successfully work with Snap Shot automation as no snap shot changes will hold or record after the initial snap shot.

I tried repairing permissions/ booting in safe mode to repair fsk, I tried trashing DPs prefs and I tried going back to DP 8.06, none of these worked.
As of right now, the only way I can automate Waves successfully after any initial snap shot of automation, is to manually manipulate a waves parameter while in Latch or touch mode.

I tested DP's snap shot on Steven SLate plugs and they worked fine.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Re: Snap Shot automation Broken in Waves V9r24, , DP 8.06, O

Post by toodamnhip »

Wow, no one cares about this issue?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
slybass3000

Post by slybass3000 »

I just found out myself this in DP9.1 and CLA Waves. This really sucks
iMac 27" i7 4.0, 3Te.32 G of Ram, Apollo Silver with TB expansion (coming up).
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

slybass3000 wrote:I just found out myself this in DP9.1 and CLA Waves. This really sucks
Make sure you file a tech report and post on DP 9.1. This is been a hard issue to get attention for. It's not just for CLA, it's for all or many third-party plug-ins.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
stratology

Post by stratology »

I'm seeing something similar in DP 8 with PSP plug ins: taking a snapshot sets all plug in parameters to the smallest possible value. If two identical plug ins are present in a channel strip, parameters for both are re-set to 0, instead of automating the one that's selected.

I just installed the DP9 demo, same there.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Is it possible this is a Waves issue? Reason I ask is I know there's an issue with Waves plugs returning parameter values that look odd in DP and I'd heard from a source that this was something Waves needed to fix, but Waves has a somewhat dismissive attitude toward DP. I know many users who have received emails from Waves blowing off reports of issues by hiding behind their claim that DP is "not officially supported."
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

James Steele wrote:Is it possible this is a Waves issue? Reason I ask is I know there's an issue with Waves plugs returning parameter values that look odd in DP and I'd heard from a source that this was something Waves needed to fix, but Waves has a somewhat dismissive attitude toward DP. I know many users who have received emails from Waves blowing off reports of issues by hiding behind their claim that DP is "not officially supported."
AFAIK, this issue has been confirmed by Waves, and DP is listed as officially supported now (for Waves AU).

However, DP is the only DAW with this issue so I assume they may think it's DP's issue.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Robert Randolph wrote:...and DP is listed as officially supported now (for Waves AU).
That's interesting. I have a friend who forwarded me an email in which a tech support person said DP 9.X was NOT officially supported. If it IS "officially supported" than this is a recent development, or this tech support person was misinformed. Now I'm wondering if it's worth my time to even try to determine which it is. :) Actually come to think of it, the response he received from Waves had to do with a specific VI. Maybe in the case of just that particular VI it was not supported.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote:Is it possible this is a Waves issue?
Nope, I'm finding it's very very common across multiple manufacturers plug ins, PSP, Waves, Fabfilter, Nomad Factory, etc. etc. User saved presets also don't work for me. The feature is pretty much 100% broken. I have no idea how toodamnhip gets any use out of it at all? I always assumed I didn't understand it properly, but in reality it's so broken that learning it is near impossible.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Robert Randolph

James Steele wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:...and DP is listed as officially supported now (for Waves AU).
That's interesting. I have a friend who forwarded me an email in which a tech support person said DP 9.X was NOT officially supported. If it IS "officially supported" than this is a recent development, or this tech support person was misinformed. Now I'm wondering if it's worth my time to even try to determine which it is. :) Actually come to think of it, the response he received from Waves had to do with a specific VI. Maybe in the case of just that particular VI it was not supported.
They did recently add DP (and a a couple others DAWs) to their officially supported list. It is relatively recent.

I'm quite certain this is a DP issue, since these types of features work in other DAWs (vst OR au) just fine. And as Michael points out, it's also not only Waves that is affected. Some VST plugins don't even work with presets at all in DP, let alone the weird automation bugs.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I just tested waves snapshot automation, and it appears to be working on the plugins I use.

• I snapped a setup in the L3 MultiMaximizer.
• In the Tracks Window, I copied the resulting bar of automation events and pasted it into another track.
• I put a fresh non-configured L3 into that track
• Opened Automation Setup and made sure that "Effects Parameter" was checked on the left side of the dialog box.
• Hit Play, and the 2nd L3 snapped into configuration exactly like the first.

User settings are saving just fine. All my plugins use custom user settings. I haven't tested them all, but they APPEAR to be working, because the plugins are configured as saved, and were loaded from user configs.

I'll look for more subtleties later. For now, it appears that Waves plugins are both loading user settings and operating off snapshot automation just fine.

DP 9.1,
OS X 10.11.6

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:I just tested waves snapshot automation, and it appears to be working on the plugins I use.

• I snapped a setup in the L3 MultiMaximizer.
• In the Tracks Window, I copied the resulting bar of automation events and pasted it into another track.
• I put a fresh non-configured L3 into that track
• Opened Automation Setup and made sure that "Effects Parameter" was checked on the left side of the dialog box.
• Hit Play, and the 2nd L3 snapped into configuration exactly like the first.

User settings are saving just fine. All my plugins use custom user settings. I haven't tested them all, but they APPEAR to be working, because the plugins are configured as saved, and were loaded from user configs.

I'll look for more subtleties later. For now, it appears that Waves plugins are both loading user settings and operating off snapshot automation just fine.

DP 9.1,
OS X 10.11.6

Shooshie
  • Start with a blank project.
  • Put your Waves plugin on a track.
  • Set the play cursor to some non-zero position.
  • Select a preset.
  • Use snapshot automation with these settings Image
  • Hit play. Note that settings change (even though you snapshotted what is currently displayed!)
Here's a video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_YDr61OqEg

If you touch a parameter with your mouse, that parameter will work. Be careful of that.

I'm curious if it being a factory preset or not matters (or something related to that)... I will have to check that later.
stratology

Post by stratology »

Robert Randolph wrote: [*] Set the play cursor to some non-zero position.
I see the exact same issue you describe (and that the movie shows) with PSP plug ins, and I also see it when the curser is in the zero position.

The re-set of plug in values is sometimes triggered by hitting the 'ok' button in the snapshot window, sometimes when hitting 'play'.

I've tried both AUs and VSTs, the issue appears with both.

I tried plug in values from my user presets and from adjusting values manually on the spot, the issue always occurs.

Last edited by stratology on Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That's a whole different ball game from what I'm seeing.

I can't test it now. I'll come back to it probably tomorrow.

I didn't touch any buttons, as far as I know. The settings remained constant. (I memorized them.)

The difference was that may cursor was set to 1/1/000, and the snapshot was taken and pasted at that location. I'll try again moving it around and that kind of thing. Tomorrow.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just noticed another difference.

My WaveShell is version 9.1. Seems to be working.