MIDI troubles with Roland TB-3 & TR-8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
gregpolasky
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI troubles with Roland TB-3 & TR-8

Post by gregpolasky »

Sorry if this post is not in the right area.
I am having issues with the roland TR-8 & TB-3 regarding MIDI in DP7. Issue is when I trighger a note from the TR-8 it also triggers notes from the TB-3. They are on 2 seperate MIDI channels. Tech support was a dick and really frustrated me. Thanks in advanced!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MIDI troubles with Roland TB-3 & TR-8

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Which tech support? MOTU or Roland?

It's been a long time since I had tech support issues at MOTU but I remember the guys name (it was pretty bad every time you got him) and I believe he still works there. Tech links are sometimes a good alternative.

Be sure you MIDI tracks are not record enabled except on the device you're sending to. LOCAL MODE on the external device should be on the OFF position.

What I'd also check (although it's unlikely) is whether you have multi-record enabled in DP, I'd also check the MIDI modes on the external devices. Check Apple's Audio/MIDI setup and maybe try deleting and reinstalling the devices. Be sure about how all the settings are activated (or not activated).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's been a long time since I had tech support issues at MOTU but I remember the guys name (it was pretty bad every time you got him) and I believe he still works there. Tech links are sometimes a good alternative.
In fairness to MOTU, three have been very few bad apples over the years. Most of their tech support people are excellent. Of course, we know the answer to most questions they get, so it takes a big problem to get us to call them. By the time one of us calls them, we're in troubled waters that they're not accustomed to, so they sometimes have to look things up, ask around, or try things out. We're not the easiest guys to help, you know?

Then there's the Boston thing. Maybe Bostonians sound curt to people from California or Texas. When I'd go up to New England Conservatory to visit, I had to learn to deal with the cultural difference and understand that it wasn't me; it was just a competitive environment in a local culture that didn't take well to chitchat from strangers. When in Rome...

But I've always found MOTU's tech to be hard-working, no BS, and quite good at their jobs. The one or two who have riled me (over 27 years) have gotten both barrels between the ears from me, so they know about it. Not to derail the subject matter; I just wanted to clarify what I know MLC probably would have said if he was as wordy as I.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Oh,I'm wordy, but somewhere between you and Tim. LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

gregpolasky wrote:They are on 2 seperate MIDI channels.
Probably not then. Can you share details on your setup?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Oh,I'm wordy, but somewhere between you and Tim. LOL
In terms of verbosity, the whole world is somewhere between me and Tim.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|