idea: combo editing mode

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

idea: combo editing mode

Post by philbrown »

I do a ton of editing that involves going back and forth from the volume layer to the soundbite layer in the graphic editor. I do this 100's of times a day. Unfortunately there's no way to easily (with a key combo) switch back and forth. The other day while I was in the volume layer and wanted to edge edit I absent-mindedly moved the cursor to the edge where it normally becomes the little edge-edit bracket tool, but of course since I was in the volume layer it doesn't do that and it also won't let me adjust the crossfade handle, and I got to thinking "Why not? Why lock me out of those options just because I'm in the volume layer instead of the soundbite layer?" There may be some gotcha to this, but I just don't see a downside to the tools working similarly in the volume layer. It could be called a combo-layer mode and be a separate layer I suppose but it wouldn't need to be. The only issue I could see would be if the volume automation line fell right on top of a fade handle (at which time you could just switch layers for that one instance). Other than that, making all options available all the time makes sense to me.
Last edited by philbrown on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: idea: combo editing mode

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

As usual my feature ideas/requests go over like a loud fart in church, but thanks MLC.

To add a bit- in the soundbite layer you can move the cursor down to the lower part of the waveform and then select a range and snip or whatever, but the volume layer requires key modifiers to select a time range- why not make them both the same? It's confusing and counter-intuitive IMO and again I see no downside and no reason both layers couldn't work the same way.

[a coyote howls in the distance]
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Makes sense. I'm sure they COULD make it happen.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If I can see a cc like volume but I'm in the sb layer it would be nice to be able to click anywhere on the line and get the other layer selected. Adobe programs like InDesign work like that by CMD clicking above layers. Each click takes you to the next layer down. You could just stay on the cmd key to move between layers. None of this dropdown funny business.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If I can see a cc like volume but I'm in the sb layer it would be nice to be able to click anywhere on the line and get the other layer selected. Adobe programs like InDesign work like that by CMD clicking above layers. Each click takes you to the next layer down. You could just stay on the cmd key to move between layers. None of this dropdown funny business.
That would work too and might be the simplest idea yet. Right now if you're in the volume layer you can click at the top of the bite and it will take you to the SB layer which is handy, but going the other way takes several moves.