Reshape tool strange behavior?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csavetman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Reshape tool strange behavior?

Post by csavetman »

Hey guys-

I'm struggling with the reshape tool. Trying to use it in the bite volume layer in sequence editor. Sometimes when I drag it, it works as I expect it to, changing only the section I dragged by inserting the 4 break points needed.
Other times however, it will only insert 2 break points, and will ramp to the previous point, creating a long duration volume change.
I've tried it with reshape set to flat line as well as straight line.
I can't seem to make rhyme or reason as to what causes that, or if I'm just doing something wrong. It seems very random. Help!!

thanks
Carlos

DP8.07 /Mac Dual Quad Core Xeon/ OS 10.8.5/ 10 GB ram
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Reshape tool strange behavior?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't believe the bite volume is the best tool to use for fades. THe volume tool is a better choice. Bite volume, AFAIK, is to adjust overall loudness of an individual soundbite, not automate that level. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you'll be better off with the volume (cc#7) controller.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't believe the bite volume is the best tool to use for fades. THe volume tool is a better choice. Bite volume, AFAIK, is to adjust overall loudness of an individual soundbite, not automate that level. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you'll be better off with the volume (cc#7) controller.
Thanks for the reply!
I am however, using the bite level layer specifically because I would like to adjust audio volume before the inserts, so dynamics processing on the channel (gates, compressors) get a more even input level to work with. I also didn't want to chop up the audio into smaller soundbites and apply gain and crossfades to those, since files in question have already been merged.

Carlos
MIDI Life Crisis

Maybe someone with a higher pay grade has a better answer. Sorry it wasn't the solution for your situation.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe someone with a higher pay grade has a better answer.
You mean Doris? Listen, I wouldn't trust what Doris says about bite volume. Every time I ask her anything, she says bite me, so it may or may not be the right answer. I just don't know.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Did you ever try biting her? Tastes just like chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Did you ever try biting her? Tastes just like chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait, are you talking about the same Doris? Or the girl who subbed for her when she was out sick with Ebola?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Doris says knock it off or have your credit ruined.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That's not Doris.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
reedster

Post by reedster »

I would like to adjust audio volume before the inserts, so dynamics processing on the channel (gates, compressors) get a more even input level to work with
I'm not Doris but

you could volume automate the audio track then output to a bus into an aux and put inserts on the aux

or volume automate and move the insert plugs post fader - see page 769 in the DP8 manual

bite volume automation is a great tool for your goal but (on my system) are quirky when drawing - I'm not surprised reshape tool does not work consistently. Seems like redrawing might be nearly as fast as using the reshape tool

the fact audio tracks have been merged once does not preclude doing so again - do what ever you have to do to prepare tracks for mixing.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
reedster

Post by reedster »

for redrawing bite gain automation - you might try using Parabola for Reshape Mode.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

reedster wrote:
I would like to adjust audio volume before the inserts, so dynamics processing on the channel (gates, compressors) get a more even input level to work with
I'm not Doris but

you could volume automate the audio track then output to a bus into an aux and put inserts on the aux

or volume automate and move the insert plugs post fader - see page 769 in the DP8 manual

bite volume automation is a great tool for your goal but (on my system) are quirky when drawing - I'm not surprised reshape tool does not work consistently. Seems like redrawing might be nearly as fast as using the reshape tool

the fact audio tracks have been merged once does not preclude doing so again - do what ever you have to do to prepare tracks for mixing.
Thanks Reedster-

Those are some good ideas. I may have to give those a try. In doing a little research on Motunation, it seems as if this quirky reshape behavior has been a long standing issue.

Carlos