Dock alias of DP app ALWAYS launches DP in 32-bit mode

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dock alias of DP app ALWAYS launches DP in 32-bit mode

Post by James Steele »

This is a new one. When I drag the DP app to the dock to create a launch alias, when I click it to launch the DP app, it doesn't respect the status of the app's 32bit/64bit check box. I have to actually navigate to the app in the Applications folder and double click it to launch DP in 64bit. Can't figure out how to sort this one out. It's actually more of a General Macintosh question I know.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Dock alias of DP app ALWAYS launches DP in 32-bit mode

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you tried deleting the current icon from the dock and launching DP in 64, and then going to the running icon and selecting 'keep in dock?"
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That's a good idea. I've been dragging the app to the dock to create the dock icon and that hasn't worked. Strangely enough, if navigate to the DP app and create an alias and then drag that alias to the Desktop, it then works as it should. I'll try your idea now! Thanks for that! :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Have you tried deleting the current icon from the dock and launching DP in 64, and then going to the running icon and selecting 'keep in dock?"
Rats! Sad to say that didn't work. It launches in 32-bit. I wonder if this is something new to 10.10.2. I know my dock alias for DP in my old system was created back during Mavericks or earlier and I updated afterward. First time I created a dock alias in Yosemite. Again Desktop alias... fine... no problems.

I had this problem last night I believe but REVERSED where if I clicked 32-bit, DP launched in 64. It does the *opposite* of how the app is checked in the Get Info for DP.

MIDI Life Crisis

I'm no geek, but I seem to remember something about flags being set, perhaps in the plist? I just tried launching from the dock and it goes into 64 bit. I do believe we are overdue for an update. I hope they're crushing bugs over at MOTU.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm no geek, but I seem to remember something about flags being set, perhaps in the plist? I just tried launching from the dock and it goes into 64 bit. I do believe we are overdue for an update. I hope they're crushing bugs over at MOTU.
Yeah... it also does this when I launch DP from Launchpad. I could delete DP prefs, but seems like since DP isn't even opened when the 32bit/64bit toggle is switched, that is some sort of setting stored by the OS? Weird.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ugh. I think I did a boneheaded thing. When I was trying to authorize DrumCore3, I did a bad thing. The plug couldn't write it's authorization file, so I reset permissions for the entire boot drive to Read & Write for "everyone". That let me authorize DrumCore 3 then I repaired permissions, but that jacked up some kext files and on reboot I got the circle with the line through it. Fortunately, I had a backup partition I was able to boot from so I could run the Yosemite installer and reinstall the OS which I'm doing now. Probably have to run any third party installers that install kexts again as well. Unless want to revert to a disk image I made prior to reinstalling DC3. If only I knew just where DC3 was trying to write its invisible auth file and changed permissions just on THAT folder. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. :)

MIDI Life Crisis

That's precisely what screwed up my system several years ago. Some files apparently like having exclusive permissions. :smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep... thank goodness for Carbon Copy Cloner. I was able to bounce back from my stupid move. Have to reinstall DrumCore 3 and wouldn't you know it... as I Googled for information on how to authorize DC3 in DP8, I found my own post on this very board with the answer. I should have listened to myself. :lol:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 8&p=485173

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well this blows! I can't authorize DrumCore 3. Says I used all my available authorizations. Contacting tech support. Ugh! :(

UPDATE: I circumvented it myself. The answer was ridiculously simple. Find the old registration file and copy it to the new drive. It wasn't even invisible. Doh! Still, I'll have Submersible reset my authorizations for me anyhoo!

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So... are you fine now?

>I wonder if this is something new to 10.10.2<

Are you running beta? If reliability is one of your things, why would you do that on a production machine?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

No... not beta. I just screwed up and jacked up the kexts by setting the *entire drive* to read&write for "everyone"... I'm recovered now. Thank goodness for disc images. :)

bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

Interesting. I found this while searching, my dock icon always opens DP in 64bit, and I have to click the icon in the Finder to open it in 32bit, even though the box is checked.

I've done no wide scale permissions changing, and permissions on the app seem right. I wonder if it's a specific file and which one it is?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bongo_x wrote:Interesting. I found this while searching, my dock icon always opens DP in 64bit, and I have to click the icon in the Finder to open it in 32bit, even though the box is checked.

I've done no wide scale permissions changing, and permissions on the app seem right. I wonder if it's a specific file and which one it is?
Not sure. This problem eventually sorted itself out. I never really figured out what was going on. :(