Reliable crash in DP 8.07 and mixing board....

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Reliable crash in DP 8.07 and mixing board....

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Can't seem find the cause of why DP is crashing every time I call up the mixing board. The crashes are ALWAYS in projects that have a few VIs. Doesn't seem tomatoes which VIs. MachFive-3, Korg Legacy, Contact, Aria, UVI Workstation. They all seem to crash DP, and a lot!

I would like to "blame" Yosemite, but it seems DP is due for an update not that the OS is somewhat settled in a bit.

No?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Re: Reliable crash in DP 8.07 and mixing board....

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Can't seem find the cause of why DP is crashing every time I call up the mixing board. The crashes are ALWAYS in projects that have a few VIs. Doesn't seem tomatoes which VIs. MachFive-3, Korg Legacy, Contact, Aria, UVI Workstation. They all seem to crash DP, and a lot!

I would like to "blame" Yosemite, but it seems DP is due for an update not that the OS is somewhat settled in a bit.

No?
You say tomatoes
  • I say tomatters
You say potatoes
  • I say potatters
Tomatoes
  • Tomatters
Potatoes
  • Potatters
Let's turn the autumn-fill spelunker off.

Is it a song yet? I haven't seen the particular problem with the crashing mixing board yet, but I've been seeing isolated problems that do concern me. For instance, a file I've been using for examples in DP (lots of pictures posted in this forum are from that file) suddenly won't open, after using it reliably almost every week, if not every day for the past 9 years. Nor will any of the myriad versions of it that I've saved, at least back to 2008. So, I moved one out of its project folder, and it opens immediately.

You might try loading your file into a different project and see if it still crashes. If it's happening to all files, you might try eliminating half the VIs for a while, seeing if it crashes. If not, then add half the remaining VIs. It could be one VI that just happens to be common to each file, or maybe TWO VIs, either of which will crash it. If you can find some VIs that do not crash it, then you may see something in common between those that do.

For example, what if either Mach Five or UVI Workstation will crash it? They have a common engine and many common features. THAT could be what's causing it, and if either one is loaded, it may crash. Or... what if it only crashes when both of them are present, together? Their common engines could be clashing because of a version mismatch.

I just haven't had any crashes lately, so I can't pin it on DP. It's got to be something external. Or not... crashes do not have to be consistent from system to system. Well, we'll keep watching it for a while. Because it tomatters! [sorry... I just get a kick out of auto-fill spellcheck corrections.]
:rofl:

Sheesh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Semi-related but maybe worth a mention....

I keep getting crashes with Trash 2. 8.07, 10.9.5. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough that it feels like it's always lurking, especially when I'm going back and forth and making changes to a sequence on the fly. Unfortunate because I've grown fond of having it live on my fave Drum VI instrument tracks, really makes some dramatic or subtle improvements to loops and drum sounds.

Izotope's Nectar, Ozone 5 and 6 work fine with no crashes when left on busses. I also noticed the occasional crash with Alloy but don't use it as much as Trash 2 so don't know if it's still a problem. FYI.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
MIDI Life Crisis

Also seeing crashes at launch, especially after a very long session crashes. Restarting usually helps but sometimes I need to restart several times. Fortunately with the new Mac Pro SSD drive that's now a 15 second process at most.

SAVE SAVE SAVE!!! That is truly the key as long as no -39 errors crop up.

C'mon (DP 8 point [Obi]) one: you're our only hope!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you get crash reports, send to Apple and MOTU.

If you don't, open Console and see what is going on. Everything is time stamped and you can expand on an instance if it isn't displaying fully.

If you find the Mackie HUI drivers trying to load, reinstall DP and see if that fixes it. I recommend reinstalling DP anyway.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MLC, only you could use reliable and crash in the same phrase. :lol:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

What is your buffer set at? I get reliable crashes if set below 64.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

I started having the same problem this morning in DP 9.01; on summoning the mixing board with shift-M, DP would frequently crash, especially if it was after a fast series of key commands. Did you ever find the cause? I have Kontakt running in a couple of V-Racks, but precious little else at all.
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
MIDI Life Crisis

I suspected my dual monitor setup but once I redid the pref and forced the mixer to open in the main s teen instead of the wide bar (consolidates windows) it seemed ok. I've not seen it since the 9.01 update.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

:?
Hrmmm... ok. Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I'll do a little troubleshooting this afternoon. Any suggestions are welcome!
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Once you get it the way you want it, create a new window set so you can call it up that way.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS