Event List hotkey not working

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Event List hotkey not working

Post by cleamon »

I use the Event List a lot, so I'm constantly opening/closing it. However, I have to do it with the mouse because the default key (shift-E) will not open it. In fact, I have found NO key combination that will. I've even tried reassigning a working key (i.e. shift-V ) and really weird keys (i.e. shift-option-cmd-E ) and still nothing works.

I would have thought that if it was a HW problem, or conflict with some other application, that a WORKING key combination could be reassigned and that would work. But, NO, nothing seems to work.

Can anyone confirm this on their system?
Thanks,

Chuck
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Shooshie

Re: Event List hotkey not working

Post by Shooshie »

If you're using DP 8.06, as per your signature, I can attest that it works. I was using the event list a lot during that version, and the key command SHIFT-E opened it. I haven't used it since DP 8.07 came out.

Have you looked for conflicts in the Commands Window? Change any command to SHIFT-E and see if it throws a conflict at you. Be sure to put back the original command, if the one you changed was anything but the Event List.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:If you're using DP 8.06, as per your signature, I can attest that it works. I was using the event list a lot during that version, and the key command SHIFT-E opened it. I haven't used it since DP 8.07 came out.

Have you looked for conflicts in the Commands Window? Change any command to SHIFT-E and see if it throws a conflict at you. Be sure to put back the original command, if the one you changed was anything but the Event List.

Shoosh
Yep 8.06
When I try to set some other command to shift-E, it tells me it's already used for "Event List".
Like I said, if I assign another (non-conflicting) key to Event List, it still does not pull up the Event List.
Are there any Preferences that might affect this?
FWIW: the event list appears in the left sidebar when I open it with the mouse/menu.

Thanks
Chuck
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:If you're using DP 8.06, as per your signature, I can attest that it works. I was using the event list a lot during that version, and the key command SHIFT-E opened it. I haven't used it since DP 8.07 came out.

Shoosh
ah!!! i see now that event list is disabled in the main menu (Project->Event List). What could cause that? It's enabled in the sidebar menu.
Also, the icon in the Shortcuts window does not open it either.
Chuck
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I just checked out the Event List in DP 8.07. Basically, if there is no MIDI, and if you don't have some MIDI selected, the keyboard command is grayed out. If you want to use the keyboard command, SHIFT-E, you first have to select some MIDI in the Tracks Overview Window.

See if that's the case.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:I just checked out the Event List in DP 8.07. Basically, if there is no MIDI, and if you don't have some MIDI selected, the keyboard command is grayed out. If you want to use the keyboard command, SHIFT-E, you first have to select some MIDI in the Tracks Overview Window.

See if that's the case.

Shoosh
Thanks Shoosh, you nailed it.

I wish they (motu) were more consistent with that. For example, you don't have to select a marker to popup the marker window, or select a soundbite to popup the soundbite window.
And some are toggles (track selector comes to mind) - show if it's hidden, hide if it's showing.
I guess there are more important/pressing things to work on.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Chuck
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm seeing the same thing with audio only projects. Something has to be selected in order to open the Event List window. I don't know how long it's been that way, but I've just noticed it recently.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Phil O wrote:I'm seeing the same thing with audio only projects. Something has to be selected in order to open the Event List window. I don't know how long it's been that way, but I've just noticed it recently.

Phil
Same here. Surely it hasn't been that way long.

I recall seeing some other window's command grayed out. I don't remember what it was, now, but I ignored it, thinking it was some temporary anomaly. I'll bet it was the same kind of thing.

We have to remember that MOTU recently finished the complete rewriting of DP in Cocoa. The programmer(s) hired to do that probably work under duress of time deadlines, so I'd expect to see more than a few bugs for the next version or two. It's important for us to report what we see. That's the only way the programmers are going to encounter these things and to know how to fix them.

I wonder if we're ever going to see a bug-free version. I'd like to think that we're getting close, and it's very likely that what we're seeing in this odd problem is by design, not a bug. After all, if there are no events, why would you open the event list? (playing devil's advocate here; don't hang me just yet) So, it's also up to us to tell them how we would prefer to see it work.

That's definitely one for the suggestion box. I might even write a tech support ticket on it (and anyone who wants to help should do likewise).

Shooshie
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:
Phil O wrote:I'm seeing the same thing with audio only projects. Something has to be selected in order to open the Event List window. I don't know how long it's been that way, but I've just noticed it recently.

Phil
Same here. Surely it hasn't been that way long.

I recall seeing some other window's command grayed out. I don't remember what it was, now, but I ignored it, thinking it was some temporary anomaly. I'll bet it was the same kind of thing.

We have to remember that MOTU recently finished the complete rewriting of DP in Cocoa. The programmer(s) hired to do that probably work under duress of time deadlines, so I'd expect to see more than a few bugs for the next version or two. It's important for us to report what we see. That's the only way the programmers are going to encounter these things and to know how to fix them.

I wonder if we're ever going to see a bug-free version. I'd like to think that we're getting close, and it's very likely that what we're seeing in this odd problem is by design, not a bug. After all, if there are no events, why would you open the event list? (playing devil's advocate here; don't hang me just yet) So, it's also up to us to tell them how we would prefer to see it work.

That's definitely one for the suggestion box. I might even write a tech support ticket on it (and anyone who wants to help should do likewise).

Shooshie
I respect the programmers and their challenge having retired from 30 years of software development myself.
I have already written a tech note on it and will update it to reflect our findings.
I might want to open the (empty) event list to drop a clipping (sysex msg) in it. Just saying.
It's not that big a deal since I can always open something else (i.e. track selector) and change it via the sidebar menu.

Chuck
Chuck