Help on Sends

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dickhauser
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help on Sends

Post by dickhauser »

I used to do this all the time.....

I'm trying to set up a template which will use an outboard headphone mixer (please don't suggest Cuemix for the moment).

As a start, I dropped some audio files into a new template. Four mono tracks for Bass, Guitar and two voices. Their output is directed to Main Out 1-2. When I play the sequence each track shows levels in the mixing board, and the sound comes out as expected.

I've added four audio tracks and set the output to Analog out 1 - 4 on the 828x. These outs are hard wired to the headphone mixer. I've changed the names in MOTU Audio Setup to read HdPh A and so forth. If you've got an 828x, you'll notice that the default names in MOTU Audio Setup start with Main Out 1 and Main Out 2 and then start with Analog 1... I left the Main Out as is and started renaming with Analogue 1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdo25q2hegt2u ... .tiff?dl=0

When I check the Audio Bundles output pane of the Studio bundles window in the project, there is a number added to the input that I did. The HdPh A has the number 3 appended. It's the same for the others (4 - 6). Seems funny...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m7sq3jzi22cb ... .tiff?dl=0

Back in the Mixer window, I've set a send to bus 1 on the first audio track and double clicked the send level knob to set it to unity. Then I've set the input of HdPh A to bus 1. No activity is showing up on the HdPh A audio track. And (for what it's worth) the send level knob has not changed color. Didn't it used to change color?

As you can imagine, I've set the sent to various buses, to the audio track name its self, and generally mucked around any which I can think of, but no joy as yet.

So thanks for your time, and I'd love a suggestion or two.
Dick H

24" iMac M3, OS Sonoma 14.4.1 , 16GB, DP 11.31
828x, 8Pre, Mach5 3.2.1
Phil O

Re: Help on Sends

Post by Phil O »

dickhauser wrote:I've added four audio tracks and set the output to Analog out 1 - 4 on the 828x.
I don't have time to try it right now, but I think you'll need to record enable those tracks in order to pass audio. If you're only using those tracks to route audio, a better option would be to use Aux tracks in those 4 spots.

BTW, yes it is very odd how those numbers got appended. I wonder what's going on there?? :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
dickhauser

Re: Help on Sends

Post by dickhauser »

Thanks for looking, Phil. We got through the session this morning fine by turning off the monitors and then using the Head Phone out on the 828x.

A quick try at arming the track didn't seem to make a difference, but I'll spend some more time today looking around.
Dick H

24" iMac M3, OS Sonoma 14.4.1 , 16GB, DP 11.31
828x, 8Pre, Mach5 3.2.1