Bizarre tracking issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bizarre tracking issue

Post by cleamon »

Anyone seen this? (DP 8.06) It's only happened to me this one time. The only way to "fix" it was to create a new project and "load" this sequence into it.

The basic issue is that when I was recording (rendering a MIDI track to audio), the displayed soundbite out paced the timeline. The longer I recorded, the farther ahead it got. When I stopped recording, the (displayed) soundbite was significantly shorter than the actual data. If I played it, it played through to the end of the recording (but beyond the soundbite edge) as expected. If I tried to edge-edit the soundbite so I could see it, I got the circle-slash cursor. If I switched to the trim tool, it acted even more bizarre.
I've written a tech-link on it FWIW.

----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Bizarre tracking issue

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Never saw that but I'd toggle punch-guard and try again. It's the first thing that comes to mind. No, it's not supposed to work that way and probably isn't the cause, but it does effect how DP 8 treats recording time. Worth a shot.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Haven't seen that one. Sorry.

Would you let us know what MOTU says?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Out of curiosity, could you tell us what the following settings are for that soundbite?

1) sample rate
2) bit resolution
3) file type (WAV, AIFF, etc.)

If you look in the soundbites window, can you see if there are multiple sample rates in the list, or multiples of any of the other settings? Usually, they should all be the same for one project, though it's possible to have others. DP usually handles all that without error.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Knowing your machine and hardware, RAM, etc., would be... helpful.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:Out of curiosity, could you tell us what the following settings are for that soundbite?

1) sample rate
2) bit resolution
3) file type (WAV, AIFF, etc.)

If you look in the soundbites window, can you see if there are multiple sample rates in the list, or multiples of any of the other settings? Usually, they should all be the same for one project, though it's possible to have others. DP usually handles all that without error.

Shoosh
I wasn't really wanting to troubleshoot this, as I've only seen it once and have moved on. I was curious though if anyone else had seen it.
But since you asked:
The project has about a dozen MIDI tracks (output to external devices), no audio tracks. I was in the process of rendering the MIDI tracks, one by one, to audio. This was the first one. The project is using internal clock, 44.1kHz, 24 bits, WAV.
I blame it on a corrupt project file. I created a new project with the same defaults, Loaded that sequence into it and record worked fine on all tracks.

Thanks.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, you're probably right; just a corrupted file.
Cosmic waves.
Quantum zombies

Shooshie