Import issue from Sony PCM D50

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
IKKAKUJUU
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Import issue from Sony PCM D50

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello,,,

i purchased a Sony PCM D50 with the idea of recording rehearsals and samples,,,i initially used it a few times with Logic a few years ago and its files imported fine......Now i am starting out with Digital Performer and trying to import those .WAV files and they will not import giving me a file not found - 43 code error. I spoke with Apple and they said,,maybe the Wav is Sony proprietary and not recognised by Digital Performer...!!!...Any advice gladly welcomed as this is a real problem ,,and for now 800$ spent for nothing...!

Thanks in advance.
IKKAKUJUU

Re: Import issue from Sony PCM D50

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Im looking n the user guide for the Sony where it mentions:

Windows etc etc.then
Mac OSX v 10.2.8-10.5
then underneath is written (and is not clear to me)
Preinstalled. (??)
the operating systems other than those listed above are not supported.
The 64 bit OS is not supported..(?!!)
The sleep mode of the MAC OS is not supported.....

I dont understand because i can drag to the desktop and play the file and this OSX is 64 bit,,,,,is it not importing into DP because of some conflict here?...but the import page in DP says 32 bit floating.....so where the hitch is,,i have no idea.....
dactarus

Post by dactarus »

Transform the SONY files extension trop .WAV to .wav and everything works fine
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dactarus wrote:Transform the SONY files extension trop .WAV to .wav and everything works fine
If that doesn't work, you will need to convert the file. QuickTime 7.6.6 does this quickly. If it is not in your Utilities Folder, it's a free download from Apple.

Converting the file strips the header and rewrites a new one. The raw audio is unchanged.

If you have a QT Pro for Mac key for QT 6 or 7 it will be accepted (Win keys do not work).

Do not move QT 7.6.6 from Utilities as it will conflict with QT 10 which is vital to the OS.

If you see QT 7.7 on your system, trash it as it no longer works after OS 10.5.x. Strange, I know but Apple...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello,,,thanks very much for replying,,,

firstly ,,yesterday,,i tried the quicktime export to apple lossless mp4 audio,,and this worked,,,,,but i am curious as to the idea of lossless,,? because file size reduces down to +/- 5 times smaller,,therefore is it really lossless??!,thanks for this possible workaround though...

Anyhow,,,now i just looked in here today :D and got the tip for changing the suffix to .wav,,,and yes this worked and i now have a smile on my face,,,!!!

Thanks very much for this solution...!!!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

but i am curious as to the idea of lossless,,? because file size reduces down to +/- 5 times smaller,,therefore is it really lossless??
There are many articles claiming that Apple Lossless (and FLAC) are what they say they are and others claiming that they aren't. I will not bother linking any as it seems to me that all I've read are armchair opinions little supported by ... oh ... facts.

If there's a well written article supported by null tests, we might know for certain. Till then, I am not worrying about it.
Anyhow,,,now i just looked in here today :D and got the tip for changing the suffix to .wav,,,and yes this worked and i now have a smile on my face,,,!!!
That is great to know! It's nice when there is an easy solution.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Thanks again,,,!! in case you look at this again,i wonder if you have any advice on the following 2 issues..!
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=58996

And ,,also this...i don't know where the problem is coming from.i have a MPB4.1 ,late 2008,, core 2 duo.upgraded to 6GB ram via OWC.so not a new Mac.!
Its now Yosemite OS,,but even before this, in the last few months it has been behaving really strange,,,regularly slowing down to a crawl,,the cursor going wild,,eternal spinning disk and having to brute-force exit to reboot.
I got a ram cleaner called memory clean from apps store so i presume it is approved..but it doesn't really stop all slowing down,,cursor going mad etc....what could this be?....i posted here because i just googled this and saw an app called maccleaner 2,,and others like it but noticed that it said it searched out old files no longer in use,movies etc,this had me wonder that this could be dangerous in the A/V world,,,maybe it would find old DP edit files of some kind and think they were superfluous and ditch them,(if i go to my local Mac retailer and speak of something like memory clean ,the seller will tell me that i should not use it,,that the MBP takes care ..from the OSX ,of this type of duty automatically flushing the Ram when needed etc...) Internally my stsrt up OS is on a western digital HD 750 GB,,,and my DP project files are on a small samsung pro SSD 250GB in optical drive (the DVD died so i got a bay),,,i though it would be faster....i couldn't at the time put the OS on the SSD as it was too small and Mac utilities demanded that the target disk for the clone i made be the same or larger than the source (320GB),,and so i couldn't clone my original start up drive to the SSD....(i needed to keep it as it had all my firefox links which are quite a thing!)..My point here is ,,,am i reaping any advantage with this SSD?,,or should it be that the start up programs i use should be on SSD,( and so i should install the OSX a 2nd time and use the SSD as start up and write projects file on the WD,(the opposite way than i have at present), and thus have a dual boot system,,1 for DP,,and the other,as per now for internet),could gain speed using that for the commands,,and then writing the DP projects to the traditional.HD...or does it make no difference because once the program is open its commands are in the cache or something like that?.maybe all i would gain from the SSD is a super fast boot up time but from then on,,not much difference?.......not very computer nor MIDI savvy i m afraid ,,but trying to catch up...!! well,,, any advice,,,again gratefully received..!!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's hard to know where to start but I'll make an attempt.

RAM cleaner, Mac Keeper and dozens of other utilities are not likely to help here. Cloning, likewise, was a bad idea here no matter how many will recommend it -- but doesn't mean that I won't. Flushing the RAM can help but only if there was a problem in the first place. 6G can run DP 8 64bit for most users.

Last week I helped someone restore an identical MBP; my daughter has one, too, so I have an idea what is possible. I need to ask some questions. What I reccomend will depend on the answers.

Is there an OS installed on the internal 750G drive? If so, what? How much free space is on this drive?

How do you have the external SSD connected?

How good is the battery? Will it run at all with the power supply disconnected?

Are you getting Crash or Panic Reports?

How do you back up your data? Are you using Time Machine?

Do you have TechTool Pro? I'm not certain you need it but I've posted a link to getting it for $25 in another thread yesterday. It can diagnose certain problems that other utilities can't. We may not have to go there.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

IKKAKUJUU wrote:Thanks again,,,!! in case you look at this again,i wonder if you have any advice on the following 2 issues..!
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=58996

And ,,also this...i don't know where the problem is coming from.i have a MPB4.1 ,late 2008,, core 2 duo.upgraded to 6GB ram via OWC.so not a new Mac.!
Its now Yosemite OS,,but even before this, in the last few months it has been behaving really strange,,,regularly slowing down to a crawl,,the cursor going wild,,eternal spinning disk and having to brute-force exit to reboot.
I got a ram cleaner called memory clean from apps store so i presume it is approved..but it doesn't really stop all slowing down,,cursor going mad etc....what could this be?....i posted here because i just googled this and saw an app called maccleaner 2,,and others like it but noticed that it said it searched out old files no longer in use,movies etc,this had me wonder that this could be dangerous in the A/V world,,,maybe it would find old DP edit files of some kind and think they were superfluous and ditch them,(if i go to my local Mac retailer and speak of something like memory clean ,the seller will tell me that i should not use it,,that the MBP takes care ..from the OSX ,of this type of duty automatically flushing the Ram when needed etc...) Internally my stsrt up OS is on a western digital HD 750 GB,,,and my DP project files are on a small samsung pro SSD 250GB in optical drive (the DVD died so i got a bay),,,i though it would be faster....i couldn't at the time put the OS on the SSD as it was too small and Mac utilities demanded that the target disk for the clone i made be the same or larger than the source (320GB),,and so i couldn't clone my original start up drive to the SSD....(i needed to keep it as it had all my firefox links which are quite a thing!)..My point here is ,,,am i reaping any advantage with this SSD?,,or should it be that the start up programs i use should be on SSD,( and so i should install the OSX a 2nd time and use the SSD as start up and write projects file on the WD,(the opposite way than i have at present), and thus have a dual boot system,,1 for DP,,and the other,as per now for internet),could gain speed using that for the commands,,and then writing the DP projects to the traditional.HD...or does it make no difference because once the program is open its commands are in the cache or something like that?.maybe all i would gain from the SSD is a super fast boot up time but from then on,,not much difference?.......not very computer nor MIDI savvy i m afraid ,,but trying to catch up...!! well,,, any advice,,,again gratefully received..!!
I probably can't help you, as I know little about SSDs, but I know something about clarity in a forum, and I can only say that you might get more responses if you made your points a little more comprehensible. Some paragraphs and punctuation go a long way toward helping people to understand you. I don't mean to come off as Strunk & White, here, but that was a very difficult thing to read!

'Scuse me... I think I'm a little bit dizzy! Hey, is there a barf bag in the house?

:vomit:
[didn't think I'd EVER use that emoticon!]

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello Mike,,thanks for taking the time to read that ,and my apologies for my English ,,the guy has a point,,i wrote it like a spoken flow,,not too easy on the eyes,,point taken!. I'll try my best to write clearly..!

Yes ,the OS is installed on the 750GB Western Digital 2.5" 7200rpm drive.
(The original start up drive was 320GB,that is why i could not clone it to the smaller Samsung 250gb SSD i installed in the optical drive bay.)
( I only did it this way because as i mentioned i have a quite extensive firefox bookmark library that i wanted to keep private and far too large to just ditch and start again,,so i had to make a clone or start 6 years of work over again!...)
So,,it is not external SSD. It is installed in place of the now defunct dvd player,in an optical drive bay.So i have a dual internal drive set-up.

That is why i am wondering if it might not be a good idea to install a 2nd copy of the OS,,this time on the SSD,,,and use the SSD as the start up when i am doing audio/MIDI work with DP/BPM and write the files to the 750HD,,,(in other words the reverse of what i am doing at present.) (?).If i need my internet and my bookmarks i can reboot and get to them from the other drive as start up. Im told this is possible,and no problem,but whether it is technically a good idea or not i have no idea.

The battery is at present dead!, i only use the MBP on mains power supply.
I never get panic or crash reports,,,what happens is it all just grinds to a halt,,,if i am watching a video then that pixellates and freezes...or otherwise my cursor goes crazy,,nothing i select works etc until i am forced to push the stop button manually to exit and reboot,,then it seems to be Ok for a while. It doesn't happen 100% of the time,,but very frequently.
I don't use time machine,,,i have external hard drives via a usb hub,and these i have in duplicate . i just make regular backups manually from the MBP to these which are usually turned off unless i need to retrieve some data or store something on them....

No,,i do not have Techtool Pro ,,but i will have a look at that.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your reply,,but i do not always have access to the internet at present.

Your assistance anyhow,,,much appreciated ,,,my thanks....!
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

PS at times,when i boot up it stays on a white screen also...
and i often get an error code that i did not get ever before relating to my traveler firewire.
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

at times also ,my own password is not recognized,and i verify exactly that i am correct and it just bounces,,so i have to write my user name and the password again and it works..!.
Last question ,do you have an idea as to my post question on BPM as a 64 channel MAS plug in (as opposed to 16 channel AU as i cant get a reply on this,,and yet the facts seems to contradict what i read in the user guide.Its been weeks i have been trying to find the correct answer.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I expected that answer.

These do not work without a good battery. A bad one actually drains the power supply and the Mac can't function properly.

Replace the battery. Then, if you still have problems, answer the rest of my questions and we'll take it from there. It may work just fine with a new battery.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:I expected that answer.

These do not work without a good battery. A bad one actually drains the power supply and the Mac can't function properly.

Replace the battery. Then, if you still have problems, answer the rest of my questions and we'll take it from there. It may work just fine with a new battery.
Ditto. I've seen that happen, myself, although it was about 10 years ago. I'd hoped Apple had fixed that issue by now, but it may be "just the way things are."

In the laptop that had the issue when I saw it, the power regulator turned out to be the problem. I'd get new batteries and they'd soon be drained and not recharging. Apple told me how to reset the regulator, and it worked for a while, but it happened again. Finally, they installed a new regulator or motherboard, or whatever it took to get it working again. After that, batteries worked as normal. But that was a Pismo Powerbook from the year 2000.

Anyway, if your batteries seem not to be working right, you might consult Apple about the problem.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello Mike,,sorry for the delay in answering,,as i said,, i have limited internet access.......

So my Mac will not simply function correctly on its mains power connection?..That is really bizarre..!!!.I will have to purchase a battery then and see if that is a fix.

As for your other questions,,i did answer them,,,,ie: i have been getting error reports at times relating to traveler firewire drive,,even though i am experiencing no practical problem.

Thanks all the Same.....!