Possible that a new SSD drive causes DP to use more RAM?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Possible that a new SSD drive causes DP to use more RAM?

Post by wonder »

I finally installed an SSD as my system drive and I couldn't be happier with the speed of boot up and opening sessions/apps.

Ive noticed that since the install of the SSD, DP uses a LOT more RAM than previous (before the SSD install).

Am I nuts?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
HCMarkus

Re: Possible that a new SSD drive causes DP to use more RAM?

Post by HCMarkus »

wonder wrote:I finally installed an SSD as my system drive and I couldn't be happier with the speed of boot up and opening sessions/apps.

Ive noticed that since the install of the SSD, DP uses a LOT more RAM than previous (before the SSD install).

Am I nuts?
You've been too consistently involved here to be completely nuts. That said, I have no idea if there is a cause and effect relationship to the change you report.

And you've been too consistently involved here to not be a little bit nuts. :lol:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There may be other factors affecting CPU overhead.

I have not noticed this in my system.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Installing an SSD as startup disk and subsequently seeing a lot more RAM usage, could imply that the CPU is electing not to write as much virtual memory to disk, preferring to cache it in physical RAM instead. But why would an SSD trigger such a decision :?:
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"