The input level decreases (flat)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

The input level decreases (flat)

Post by Tomas E »

When setting up the recording levels for the first time in a project I set the guitar channel on my external Mackie mixer to about -2 (fader). This way the level in the audio monitor will be just about right. But after doing some recordings the level in the audio monitor suddenly is much lower. At first I thought I had accidentally touched the trim pot (on the Mackie) for that channel so I did the level set procedure once again. This issue is present on both my computers which leads me to believe that there's something going on with the Audiofire2. I have the latest driver and software installed.

Quitting DP and restarting it doesn't solve it.

Restarting my computer solves it temporarily.

As you may have read here
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=55415
I've had another issue with pops and clicks. It has started to appear on my MacBook Pro as well. And when looking through my saved drafts I noticed that the pops and clicks issue started back in the summer of 2012. I can't help thinking these issues are somehow related to each other. The MBP has a SSD which means - as far as I know - that disk maintenance should not be the primary measure.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The input level decreases (flat)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Are there any plugs in the track that might be attenuating the signal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Only some standard MOTU effects but they are always enabled. Both when I have a good signal and a bad one.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My only suggestion is to open Console and see if something shows up in the log at the times when this is happening.

Have you contacted Echo on this? It could be a known issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

mikehalloran wrote:My only suggestion is to open Console and see if something shows up in the log at the times when this is happening.

Have you contacted Echo on this? It could be a known issue.
Thanks, I'll look into that. Where do I find the log?

No I haven't yet, but I guess it's the only thing left to do.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Console logs all activities on your Mac and time stamps them. It's in the Utilities folder. It can be a very useful diagnostic tool. It can also be line after line of gibberish.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

mikehalloran wrote:Console logs all activities on your Mac and time stamps them. It's in the Utilities folder. It can be a very useful diagnostic tool. It can also be line after line of gibberish.
I missunderstood. I thought you were talking about some log in the Echo AudioFire Console :lol:
https://www.google.se/search?client=saf ... sole+image

There's just to much info in there which I don't know how to interpret. So I think I'll try the EchoAudio Support instead.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

It's been quite a while since this subject came up. The problems (pops and clicks) are still present and finally I contacted the Echo support, here's their reply. :(
Due to the AudioFire being a discontinued line of products, we haven't done thorough testing on OS X El Capitan, and have no plans to release a new driver for it.
I'm saving for a MOTU 8pre later this summer.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have that same AudioFire box (which I was only using for remote recording). I had some click & pop issues as well. The Echo support was blaming it on poor Apple firewire support in Mavericks (10.9.5). They suggested that I either move backward or forward in OS to resolve it.

I recently updated to 10.10.5, but haven't had a chance to test the AudioFire2. I suppose I could test it, but since the problem is intermittent, it basically renders the device useless. I'm not willing to risk ANY kind of project to that kind of behavior.

I can understand ECHO not wanting to have to support drivers ad nausium for discontinued products and apple's rapid-fire OS releases. I am even willing to boot in an older OS to work on a location recording. But I'm not sure what my options really are in that regard.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Though it's sad to hear you've had the same issue it's good to know I'm not alone. That way I can be sure of that whatever I choose I most likely will get rid of it. Thanks.