DP 8.07 LOCATE Audio Files

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
sg335man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8.07 LOCATE Audio Files

Post by sg335man »

Hello can anybody advise me on how to locate Audio Files in DP 8.07? When I open especially an older Project, DP can't find the files (soundbites folder) I get the Missing Sound Files Locater window and Soundbites window with Red ? marks. How do I select set ALL the files and relocate them? Or do I have to do each file??? Thanks DH
mikehalloran

Re: DP 8.07 LOCATE Audio Files

Post by mikehalloran »

It depends:

Did you record the files into DP or import them from another source?

Did you import these projects from another Mac -- ever?

Normally, wherever you find one missing file, you will find the others. There are permissions issues that can keep DP from finding the files and I have no way of knowing if this issue affects you or not.

If the original sound files exist on your Mac, this can be fixed. It may be very easy or time consuming once we know more.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sg335man

Post by sg335man »

Thank you for your time and help, the Audio files (Folder) is part of a project folder. Either crated in DP 3.0 or DP 7 (a Backup from another drive) In fact I have years of projects like this. All I am trying to do is open them in DP 8.07? There is NOT a permissions problem here. However DP 8 cannot find the folder that contains the Audio files. So I get the missing files dialogue box and the soundbite window Red question marks. I can locate the files in this manner or use the Audio Relocate Soundbite (Audio) but ONE AT A TIME OMG it takes forever.!!!! Some projects have many tracks.

So my question is there way you can Locate ALL the Audio files or point DP to the audio folder in the project(s) folder? If so how do I do this? Thanks Again DH
sg335man

Post by sg335man »

I guess thinking about this "How Do you RELOAD" multiple soundbites? It does not appear to be simple? One would think it should be like Kontakt 5 when missing samples go astray? DH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

sg335man wrote:Thank you for your time and help, the Audio files (Folder) is part of a project folder. Either crated in DP 3.0 or DP 7 (a Backup from another drive) In fact I have years of projects like this. All I am trying to do is open them in DP 8.07? There is NOT a permissions problem here. However DP 8 cannot find the folder that contains the Audio files. So I get the missing files dialogue box and the soundbite window Red question marks. I can locate the files in this manner or use the Audio Relocate Soundbite (Audio) but ONE AT A TIME OMG it takes forever.!!!! Some projects have many tracks.

So my question is there way you can Locate ALL the Audio files or point DP to the audio folder in the project(s) folder? If so how do I do this? Thanks Again DH
I had this exact problem. It's easy but there are a few possible solutions.

First, you solve the permissions issue. Do Get Info on your project folder. See if your admin account is listed--if not, add it. Now make certain that all users have Read and Write privileges. Check the box for Apply to enclosed items and click Yes when it asks if you are certain.

This fixes it most of the time. Let me know what happens.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sg335man

Post by sg335man »

Thanks again for your help. Its not a Permissions problem I can (Admin) read/write on the drive the Projects are on no problem. Its looking like DP will not let you RELOAD or REPLACE more then ONE file (soundbite) at a time? In one project alone there are many many (audio) soundbites. I have NO PROBLEM Reloading ONE FILE AT A TIME but I will be here days years on 1 project. Surly MOTU (DP) must have a way of reloading or directing Audio folders to the sequence file? If so I would be more than grateful to find out HOW! Cheers Don H
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I tried hiding some SBs from a DP project. When I first opened the project, a window came up that basically said "the following files are missing."

Here's what worked for me:
1) select ALL the files in the list
2) click OK
3) when the open file dialog appears, locate the folder where they reside and select ALL the missing files
4) click open

It grabbed them all at once.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

sg335man wrote:Thanks again for your help. Its not a Permissions problem I can (Admin) read/write on the drive the Projects are on no problem. Its looking like DP will not let you RELOAD or REPLACE more then ONE file (soundbite) at a time? In one project alone there are many many (audio) soundbites. I have NO PROBLEM Reloading ONE FILE AT A TIME but I will be here days years on 1 project. Surly MOTU (DP) must have a way of reloading or directing Audio folders to the sequence file? If so I would be more than grateful to find out HOW! Cheers Don H
So you didn't follow my instructions and it still doesn't work?

Did you grant the same privileges to all users and check the box? If not, do so.

When I had this problem, MOTU support told me that all my audio files were corrupt. They weren't. Doing the above fixed most of my project folders without my having to reimport any sound files. For those that aren't fixed, there are other steps.

Or you can keep on doing what you are doing.
sg335man

Post by sg335man »

I followed your instructions to the letter but unfortunately nothing has changed. I am waiting to her from MOTU thanks DH