Latency with Multi-Out VI's in DP 8.07

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
guitardood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Latency with Multi-Out VI's in DP 8.07

Post by guitardood »

Hello All,

I'm having a bit of a problem and wondering if there is a known workaround that I've missed or if this is a genuine bug. I've reported this to MOTU, but have yet to hear back from them regarding this. For this example, I'm going to use Superior Drummer, but the same latency issue is happening with Kontakt5 and MachFive.

I create an instrument track for Superior Drummer (Stereo) and have some MIDI Drums pointed to that instrument. This is a project that already has audio. If I just use the audio output from the track where I inserted SD, it is latency compensated and everything is in perfect time.

However, I want to grab the drums to separate tracks to do some processing. So inside of SD, I have edited the mixer to send each individual MIC to a separate output starting with the Kick going to 3/4, snare to 5/6, etc. I then go into DP and create stereo audio tracks with their inputs set to the matching outs from SD and the outputs of those tracks going to the same drum bus aux as the single instrument track was going. I then turn on the 'Input' monitor on each of these tracks. With this setup, the drums are now not latency compensated and are quite late in comparison to the other previously recorded guitar/bass/keyboard/vox tracks.

What's really interesting is that if I turn on 'Record' and record the drum's audio to those tracks and then switch off 'Record' & 'Input' and play back the recorded audio, the drums are again in perfect time.

This same phenomena occurs with any multi-out VI when using outs greater than the primary.

As always, any help and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Chuck

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".