Chopped-off MIDI Notes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
clisma
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Chopped-off MIDI Notes

Post by clisma »

Hello all,

On heavily orchestral tracks I regularly hear sustained notes being chopped off early in DP8.07. Even at a buffer of 1024 (plays back comfortably with no "Processing" spikes in the meter).

So i.e., I might have 4 FHorns playing a slow legato line and each note gets cut off until the next attack. This is completely gone when bouncing the file to an .aif for delivery, so it's not a show-stopper at all, just a little annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hope you're all having a smashing holiday :D
stubbsonic

Re: Chopped-off MIDI Notes

Post by stubbsonic »

There was a "bug" in earlier versions involving repeated notes (of the same pitch) with quantized durations. If the first note's release was on the same tick as the second note's start-- it would cause the second note to play very short. I think they fixed that in version 8. It doesn't sound like that is your issue.

You didn't mention what your sample player is. I know Kontakt has quite a few settings for making sure playback doesn't get messed up-- including it's own buffer settings, etc.

Are you in 64-bit mode? If not, make sure you enable that. (It is the default.). You can confirm by doing a "Get Info..." on the DP8 app icon itself.

That's all I can think of at the moment. There are plenty of others here who will get you sorted if you are still stuck.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
clisma

Post by clisma »

Sorry for the late reply, actually managed to slip away for a short vacation... yay!

Stubbsonic: thanks for the reply. Yes, it doesn't seem like my issue, but thanks for pointing that out.

I'm on Kontakt 5.3.1 in 64 bit. If my memory serves me right, I've got Kontakt set to using multi-cores with a buffer of either 60kb or 96kb (I remember testing these two sizes out with no noticeable difference on the cut-off issue).

I suspect that it is related to DP, as no orchestral sessions in Logic 9 or X, using the same Kontakt version AUs, have ever showed the same hiccup.

MacPro 3.06Ghz, 56GB RAM
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Bump it up to 256K and see if you get any improvement. I know that's too much latency, but you can just see if it works better.

In fact, increase the buffer for the Audio Device Setup, and for Kontakt, both. It'll at least let you know if that's "indicated".
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

clisma wrote:
I'm on Kontakt 5.3.1 in 64 bit. If my memory serves me right, I've got Kontakt set to using multi-cores with a buffer of either 60kb or 96kb (I remember testing these two sizes out with no noticeable difference on the cut-off issue).

I suspect that it is related to DP, as no orchestral sessions in Logic 9 or X, using the same Kontakt version AUs, have ever showed the same hiccup.
Part of the issue is your old version of Kontakt. You should download the latest version which is 5.4.2. It fixed a lot of problems.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
clisma

Post by clisma »

The buffer for audio devices is set to 1024, and if I go up to 2048, the problem disappears or at least seems less pronounced. Of course, that's not really a solution if I'm still playing in parts. For Kontakt, setting the internal buffer to 256k would enormously tax my RAM. Even with 56 GB of RAM I'm not sure I could load my entire orchestral template.

Good point about Kontakt 5.4.2. I'm usually slow to jump to the newest versions for the sake of compatibility, but I'll try it when there's some downtime.

Importantly, I seem to be the only one in this forum having this issue. Curious.

Thanks to all and cheers!
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Since your Bounces are successful, have you noticed if BTD takes longer than real-time? BTD will take as long as it needs to to get it right; even if it takes longer than real-time. Just wondering if that's the case for you...
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
clisma

Post by clisma »

Oh wow, I did not know that, Tritonemusic! BTD does take quite a while to start, with the screen appearing after only about a minute or so (but I always figured that was because RAM usage by samples is so high, in excess of 28GB). Once it has started though, it seems to go in real-time or faster...