DP8.07 won't authorize

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
clisma
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8.07 won't authorize

Post by clisma »

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice anyone may have.

I just bought DP8, crossgrading from Logic Pro 9 and am having trouble authorizing. When I enter my details, including the MOTU-provided keycode, nothing happens when the MOTU servers are contacted. If I try the offline process, I receive a response file from the site, but when I load it into the authorization screen, it just goes back to the same screen, as if asking me to load it again and again.

MOTU suggested trashing the DP8 app and re-installing, which I've done numerous times (8.07) but to no avail.

I am on 10.9.5, on a 2009 MacPro 2x2.26 that I just upgraded to be 2x3.06 (so I've re-authorized a fair amount of existing plugs, but DP is new on here, although the MacPro itself was bought used off eBay).

Anyone run into the same kind of problem and may have tips for me? Tech support at MOTU won't be available until Monday.

Thanks and cheers!
Luke
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: DP8.07 won't authorize

Post by James Steele »

I'm no expert, but I wonder if this is something having to do with your user account or permissions. It could be that what's going on is the DP app is not able to write the authorization file to your hard disk... it might not have permission. You might try doing a get info on your hard drive itself, temporarily give permission for "everyone" to read & write, and then try to authorize DP again. If it's successful, change permissions back afterward.

Again... just a shot in the dark here.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
clisma

Post by clisma »

Thanks so much for the tip, James. Makes a lot of sense. However, when I tried it, same result.

However, when I changed the permissions for the drive, I did not apply them to all enclosed items/folders. I seem to recall doing that a long time ago for whatever reason and having issues subsequently, so I'm a bit wary.

Any idea where on the drive DP is trying to write? Maybe I could tinker with permissions in that particular directory, since what you say makes sense to me and is worth exploring.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

clisma wrote:Thanks so much for the tip, James. Makes a lot of sense. However, when I tried it, same result.

However, when I changed the permissions for the drive, I did not apply them to all enclosed items/folders. I seem to recall doing that a long time ago for whatever reason and having issues subsequently, so I'm a bit wary.

Any idea where on the drive DP is trying to write? Maybe I could tinker with permissions in that particular directory, since what you say makes sense to me and is worth exploring.
You're running DP on a remote drive? You need to have permissions enabled all the way down.

You don't do this on your system/boot drive -- but these issues won't occur if running DP on your home drive - unless...

It's important that you enter your name, email address and key code exactly the way it is registered with MOTU. Your key code contains dashes, not minus signs -- so no dashes from the numerical key pad (that was a frustrating lesson to learn, trust me).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
clisma

Post by clisma »

I hear you Mike. I've double-checked myself and the name/email a half-dozen times. It checks out. As for the Keycode, well that came in an email directly from MOTU, so I copied as well as tried inputting by hand, and they have confirmed (before clocking out tonight) that their server had seen my computer's request and sent back a response. And no actually, I'm just trying to install on my normal system drive with 10.9.5 where all my DAWs and plugs are located.

But you have given me an idea: is it possible to install DP on a different drive (i.e. external, or secondary internal) and use it that way? I also have an older partition with 10.6.8 for old projects compatibility, but it is no longer needed. My next step might just be to wipe that drive, do a clean install of 10.9.5 and try DP again. Though I'm really not looking forward to spending my weekend that way... :-)

Thanks for the thought.
Old Bruce

Post by Old Bruce »

Hello Luke,
I had a very similar problem and the fix was to get tech support to fix it at the server end. I had run the demo and the server was stuck on demo mode. All is well now. Bad time of year to have to contact any sort of tech support. Open a ticket as soon as possible is the only advice I have.
Bruce
clisma

Post by clisma »

Thanks Bruce, that sounds similar to my problem indeed. A quick update nevertheless: as mentioned above, I have a redundant drive in my MacPro with 10.6.8 just in case things wouldn't work out with the upgrade to Mavericks. Since it is an exact clone of my main system drive before the upgrade, I tried installing DP8 there and sure enough it worked.

That tells me that the problem is more likely to be on my Mac rather than the MOTU servers. I'm currently trying to copy that DP8 installation over bit by bit in the hopes of replicating the success. Short of that, I'll work from that partition while I wait for MOTU to get to my support ticket.

Also, I might just try creating a new user and installing there instead...
Old Bruce

Post by Old Bruce »

clisma wrote:... I have a redundant drive in my MacPro with 10.6.8 just in case things wouldn't work out with the upgrade to Mavericks. Since it is an exact clone of my main system drive before the upgrade, I tried installing DP8 there and sure enough it worked.

That tells me that the problem is more likely to be on my Mac rather than the MOTU servers. ...
Now that is different from my problem, the different startup hard drive trick did not work for me.
Bruce.
clisma

Post by clisma »

Update:

Problem is solved. Ultimately, the trick of copying the installation files over to the system drive from the redundancy drive was the ticket. While doing so there were many folders and files to transfer, among which was also nestled the authorization file. Once all files were moved over, DP8 didn't start with an existing authorization, however, upon launching the authorization screen, it thankfully moved on, as if it had finally been able to write to disk or something.

I'm not sure I totally understand the underpinnings of the solution, but it did work and it seems to be quite stable, so I'm a happy camper.

Thanks to everyone who had tips on solving the situation. You were quick in your responses and helpful, which got me thinking on the right path.

Cheers,
Luke