PunchGuard never stops recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

PunchGuard never stops recording

Post by Tomas E »

I've set auto-record start to 9|1|000 and auto-record end to 13|3|041.

I've set PunchGuard pre-roll duration to 2 seconds. That works, I get 2 secs of audio before start.

I've set post-roll duration to 2 seconds. The recording doesn't stop until I stop it myself.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: PunchGuard never stops recording

Post by Shooshie »

Not 100% sure, but I think this is a feature, not a bug. You'll notice that even after you hit STOP, it keeps recording another 2 seconds (or whatever you have it set for). So, here are the parameters as I understand them:

Auto record set to bar 4 (in) and bar 8 (out) at click of 60.
Pre-roll and Post-roll set to 4 seconds each.

1) Hit record. It begins recording at four seconds before bar 4, which would be bar 3 (at click = 60)
2) It passes bar 8 and the apparent soundbite stops as set at bar 8.
3) You hit stop at bar 12.
4) You edge-edit the soundbite to extend it, and you find that it extends to bar 13. That's because you stopped it at bar 12, and post-roll extended it by 4 seconds. However...
5) the soundbite originally ended as you set it, at bar 8.

So, the post-roll in this case is collecting the audio until after YOU hit stop, not just after the auto-stop. I can understand how this might be desirable if there was some audio worth capturing, but I do not know why MOTU made that choice. It seems like auto-out should be auto-out, and that post-roll should collect only what you set it to, beyond the auto-out.

When not using auto-record, the behavior would be normal. What's actually happening works well, but it just seems a little odd, perhaps.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Shooshie wrote:What's actually happening works well, but it just seems a little odd, perhaps.

Shooshie
I agree. You shouldn't have to snip the audio at the end of each file you record in this way.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

e-snobben wrote:
Shooshie wrote:What's actually happening works well, but it just seems a little odd, perhaps.

Shooshie
I agree. You shouldn't have to snip the audio at the end of each file you record in this way.
Wait, are you saying that the whole thing appears in the Tracks Overview and Sequence Editor? For me, it does not appear unless I edge-edit the soundbite by dragging its edge to the end of what was recorded. All that appears by default is a soundbite whose boundaries are what I set initially.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maybe a bug, but it would be a pretty low priority on the list for a fix. All that happens is the sound file is larger than it needs to be.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie
I haven't played with this for some time, but when it was first introduced I recall having the same reaction. I didn't think it was a bug, but I thought the implementation was very odd.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Shooshie wrote: Wait, are you saying that the whole thing appears in the Tracks Overview and Sequence Editor? For me, it does not appear unless I edge-edit the soundbite by dragging its edge to the end of what was recorded. All that appears by default is a soundbite whose boundaries are what I set initially.

Shoosh
You're right, what appears in the TO is what is recorded by auto-rec. If I edge-edit it will extend to whatever post-roll is set to. I my case since I had two secs at 60 bpm that means two more measures of audio (after hitting the stop-button).
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Check your preferences and make sure you have "pre-roll only when punching in" checked. This means that Punchguard only creates pre-roll when the transport is already rolling, not when starting from a stop.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Babz
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Babz wrote:Check your preferences and make sure you have "pre-roll only when punching in" checked. This means that Punchguard only creates pre-roll when the transport is already rolling, not when starting from a stop.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Babz
Thanks, that is my setting.

I've sent it to the MOTU support, it's in progress.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

I've just received a response from the MOTU Tech Support. It seems to be a bug after all.
I can reproduce this issue. I've filed a bug report with our dev team concerning it.

Best,
Robin
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Has this issue been fixed in DP9?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

No, it hasn't been fixed.

The Preroll is correct, but the recording continues until after you stop by the Postroll amount, rather after the Punch out point.

The Soundbite is placed on the track correctly and the right edge is at the Punch out point, so there is no need to edge edit the punch to remove the excess post roll, unless you need to capture something that happened after the Punch out point.

You get the punch guard amount of post roll regardless of where you stop the recording, even during the punch, so it looks like when punch guard post roll is on, the punch out point is ignored.

This is what I was seeing in V8, so although it might technically be a bug, I don't see why it matters. All you get is a bit of extra useless audio. My projects are full of useless audio :lol:
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8