Shouldn't there be continuous data blocks in audio tracks?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Shouldn't there be continuous data blocks in audio tracks?

Post by Tomas E »

I can't remember if I've thought of it before. I I've added some audio volume data in my audio tracks, as well as MDI controller data in the MIDI tracks. In the tracks window I can see the MIDI data as expected, as blocks at the beginning of the sequence. But there are no blocks of audio controller data at the beginning of the audio tracks. Has it always been like this? :? The View Filter is set to "All".
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Shouldn't there be continuous data blocks in audio track

Post by Shooshie »

Which window are you looking at?

To see Volume data in the Tracks Overview Window, you have to hide the soundbites. You can use the View Filter, or just click on a soundbite and delete it (undo it in a moment), and you'll see the Volume line underneath, plus any other automation lines in use. At the leftmost point of any line segment you'll see a dot, which is the Volume control point for that segment.

Aux Tracks should contain nothing BUT automation data, which can be copied and merged/pasted into other Aux or Audio tracks.

If you're in the Sequence Editor, you'll have to select the layer for Volume data (or Pan, or any other automation/controller layer).

Did I understand your question correctly?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Click on the control column in the left side of the Track Overview window. A menu pops up that lets you choose what controllers will be displayed over top of the soundbite display. You don't have to delete the soundbite or use the view filter.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:Click on the control column in the left side of the Track Overview window. A menu pops up that lets you choose what controllers will be displayed over top of the soundbite display. You don't have to delete the soundbite or use the view filter.
Wow. I've had that column hidden for so long that I forgot it was there. Thanks!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Same here. But the question and your answer got me thinking because I couldn't see volume in the TO, only in the SE. And there it was, artfully hidden in the manual.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Shooshie wrote:Which window are you looking at?

Did I understand your question correctly?

Shooshie
The correct name of the window is of course Tracks Overview, sorry about that.
bayswater wrote:Same here. But the question and your answer got me thinking because I couldn't see volume in the TO, only in the SE. And there it was, artfully hidden in the manual.
Thanks :D for helping us find the Controllers Display check box in the Tracks List Columns Setup.

However, if there's just one continuous data value it won't be visible. There has to be at least two controller values in the track. I figured it out since the only data I could make visible at the beginning of the track was the Track Mute.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

e-snobben wrote:However, if there's just one continuous data value it won't be visible. There has to be at least two controller values in the track. I figured it out since the only data I could make visible at the beginning of the track was the Track Mute.
?? I tried this by dragging new sound bite to a new track and writing Volume data. It shows up as expected in the TO.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

bayswater wrote: ?? I tried this by dragging new sound bite to a new track and writing Volume data. It shows up as expected in the TO.
Is it a block, a line, or a little dot? If I select Track Mute I can see a dot at the very beginning of the track but if I only have one volume event and select Volume I don't see anything. For me there has to be at least two volume events for them to connect between to make the line visible.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If I show Track Mute (or Volume), a line will not appear unless there are two points. That's a limit of geometry I suppose. But I can have a track that has two Track Mute events or two Volume events, and either way, points show up with a line connecting them in the TO on top of the Soundbite image. Maybe the type of drawing, points, lines, etc has to be set somewhere, but I don't know where that would be.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Then we know how it works. I still find the difference between the TO and the SE a bit strange. I mean why not try to make them work in exactly the same way when it comes to how the data in question shows up. But not a big deal.