I'm having trouble importing audio files [Solved]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I'm having trouble importing audio files [Solved]

Post by Dan Worley »

I'm just checking before I do a clean install of DP. Is anyone else having trouble importing audio files with DP 8.06 or 8.07 and Yosemite 10.10.1?

It's now taking up to five minutes to import a 3-minute file. This happens whether I drag it in or use the menus. I checked the preferences and they're the same as I've always had them. I've imported thousands of files without trouble before updating to Yosemite. I was hoping 8.07 would fix the problem, but it hasn't. It fixed other things, though.

Importing does eventually work, but it takes forever. I hope a clean install of DP fixes this and that it's not something more serious. There's no way I can work like this.

Thanks.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Re: I'm having trouble importing audio files

Post by mikehalloran »

Are these files you've created or ones you got from somewhere else?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Could it be converting format, sample and bit rates? That can slow things down considerable.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Could it be converting format, sample and bit rates? That can slow things down considerable.
My thought, too. If so, converting in something like QT 7.6.6 first is faster.

Same with files from other sources. I often get files that won't load at all. Stripping and rebuilding the headers in QT 7 has saved me too many times.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

These are files I've recorded on the road or at the house on the MBP, I then copied them to Dropbox. At the studio, I move them to an audio drive and then import them into their various projects. I've never had any trouble doing this before.

I just found and fixed the problem, but I don't know exactly why it's a problem. The files' preferences have to be set to "read & write" for Staff and Everyone, not just Me the owner. Hmm? Anyway, I changed them all to "read & write" and the imports are fast once more. Yay!

Thanks for your thoughts!
DP10.13
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Interesting, Dan. I'd expect them to either work, or not work (regarding the permissions thing). But for them to just take longer...haven't seen that one before.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Tritonemusic wrote:Interesting, Dan. I'd expect them to either work, or not work (regarding the permissions thing). But for them to just take longer...haven't seen that one before.
Yeah, it's strange and I don't understand it either, but I'm relieved there was a simple solution because it was keeping me from getting things done.
DP10.13