After change to new(er) computer DP is torturing me.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: After change to new(er) computer DP is torturing me.

Post by mikehalloran »

However, if a persons computer breaks, or if they need to update their OS in order to use some software, then they must make a choice.
Yes. There is no way to authorize DP 5 or 6 after OS 10.6.8. Cloning, Migration Assistant, Time Machine – none of that works if you lose a drive or upgrade to a new machine. DP 7.24 is the earliest version that will.

I keep a working copy of 7.24 so that I don't have to run 8.07 in 32bit just to open certain old projects. Although 32lives has made even that mostly unnecessary, I still run into it now and then.

I really liked DP 5.13 and have it installed on my G4 but haven't fired it up in years. No point except to remove certain ancient plugins that a) never worked in OS 10.5 or b) were PPC only. I have a feeling that I may still have a few of those around ... perhaps not. I did learn to zip the project folder before moving a file from my G4 to my iMac. DP 7.1 and later are much, much fussier when it comes to privileges.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Walbertus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Walbertus »

It's funny, but I was recently thinking about returning to the forum and grousing some more about this issue but thought better of it. Then I saw there were some recent postings so I guess I'll go ahead and grouse.
Your new suggestions are all appreciated and upgrading everything would indeed be an ideal solution. But for reasons that I won't bother you with I am unable to make these wished-for upgrades. And I'm weary of upgrading just to keep doing what I could already do.
My general vexation that I can't just keep using the tools that I have and that worked perfectly well doing the kind of music composition that I have enjoyed for 20+ years which uses mostly MIDI sequencing. In fact the MIDI tools that I used most with Performer seem to have been perfected back when it was running on a Mac SE with 4 Mb ram. (of course there have been useful improvements)

But I feel I've been forced by MOTU to give up DP. I tried the trial version of DP8 and I still found glitches using snow leopard. If DP6 or 7 worked with 10.6 why can't they just let me upgrade to one of those (at maybe a cheaper price)?

I've been trying out Reaper as an affordable alternative. What I liked right away was that it runs perfectly well on my not-up-to-date computer and OS; it recognizes my USB keyboard and plug-ins work. If they can get Reaper to function this smoothly on so many platforms, what's the deal with MOTU? How could a (once) Mac-centric app not work with Snow Leopard?
Luckily I can still use DP5 to convert my old files to standard MIDI for use in Reaper or elsewhere.
The downside is having to re-learn new MIDI editing tools (but they say that learning new things is good brain exercise). I miss the Conductor Track and tap tempo but it looks like Reaper has something kind of similar if I can figure it out.

So, I would have preferred to keep using DP but I also wish to keep using this older but perfectly functional Mac and OS and the other apps that work and which I do not wish to pay to upgrade.

Thanks again for your comments and help.

-After posting this and reading it over I see that the name "Reaper" is kind of censored. What's the deal with that? Are all non-motu apps forbidden mention?
DP11, OSX 10.13.6, Mac Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you called MOTU? Others have and were able to still get DP 7.24. Even if official support has dried up (and I don't know that it has), it's hard to find an issue which hasn't been resolved around here.

There is no point to DP 6. Many features did not work well and, unlike 7.24, 6.x cannot be authorised after OS 10.6.8.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

As Mike says, others have updated to the latest but been able to get downloads of earlier versions. But I'm wondering from your post, just what is it that you want from later versions that you don't have with DP 5? It looks like your music is well served by very early versions of MIDI sequencers, so what's missing from your current setup?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Walbertus wrote:-After posting this and reading it over I see that the name "R•••••" is kind of censored. What's the deal with that? Are all non-motu apps forbidden mention?
As site owner, I'll explain. I personally had a problem with that developer's business model, which was to essentially gain marketshare by dumping their product on the market, using "nag screen" copy protection that essentially made their app FREE, as you only had to dismiss the screen once per day. I felt it was harmful to the health of the DAW industry as it undercut other companies unfairly and decided I would do nothing to promote that app and have it gain any Google hits via this site. No other non-MOTU apps are censored that way. Reaper has earned that distinction all on its own.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It is possible/likely that if you call MOTU, they might allow you to get a version 7.24 installer (included) if you buy the latest version. They did that for me a while back.

Many on this list will agree that 7.24 with OS 10.6.8 hit the sweet spot, stability-wise.

I'm perhaps the only one here who was disappointed with the way MIDI selection in the graphic editor changed after v4 or 5, into later versions. Still bugs me a little, but I'm able to get work done. That is not likely to change if others don't notice it.

As to whether you can do what you need to do in other software, that, of course is your call. MOTU's DP is a VERY deep and complicated piece of software. It appeals to power-users because of its range of deep editing features. As a composer, I simply can't do what I need to do in Logic, or ProTools, or any other serious MIDI sequencer. Of course, YMMV.

If you are getting what you need from (t)r***** (I kid)-- then there isn't any r***** why you shouldn't get & use it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

Several interesting and informative replies. I was unaware of the issues with Reaper and I can see your point. I have been struggling to adapt to their unusual MIDI editor and would prefer to stick with DP as I have many years of use with it. But because I do other work for which I need Snow Leopard's Rosetta I just can't give that up right now. And outside of DP I've had no other problems with anything.

My impression from investigating Reaper was that the place seemed more open and cooperative with it's users. Whereas with MOTU I sensed an inflexibility that I regarded as coming from a position of power. As in "We are a big establishment; you've spent 20 years learning this program, so deal with it as we dictate or look elsewhere." When I tried explaining my problems there was not the same patience that you guys have shown me here.
I will contact MOTU again and look into the idea of upgrading, (and then downgrading) for DP7 if that one works as you say it will be worth it to have some familiar tools.
thanks again.
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

Just in case anyone should come upon this thread I thought I should return to say that after all the various issues I had running DP5 and then trying out DP8 using OSX 10.6, (all explained above), I finally tried out DP9 (after putting it off because I thought "what's the use?") and was shocked when it suddenly works great. :!:
I don't know what the problem was; was it my computer? I don't see how because nothing's changed there.
DP now recognizes my MIDI input devices and loads and runs all plug-ins, instruments, etc.. Did they fix something?
So no more harsh words for MOTU. I can get back to work again.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

:headbang:

Glad to hear you got it all worked out. What a nice leap you are making!!

It's gotta feel like time travel.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com